There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society

Often forgotten

Current Employee - Patient Navigator
Current Employee - Patient Navigator

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Independant work ability, daily contact with cancer pts and the ability to help them

Cons

often felt left out of the loop...informaiton was not provided in a timely fashion

Figure out what your doing nad tell people right away before staff satrt making up answers to their questions when you don't provide one.

421 Other Employee Reviews for American Cancer Society (View Most Recent)

Heading in the right direction, but doing it at the expense of staff

Current Employee - Community Manager  in  Glen Allen, VA
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Glen Allen, VA

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working at ACS has given me a GREAT foundational knowledge of a variety of skillsets. I became skilled in fundraising/income development, sales, presentational speaking, interpersonal communication, networking, managing volunteers, delegating, recruiting, interviewing, coaching, mentoring, event management, social networking, multi-tasking, public speaking, conflict management and resolution, and much more! The nature of the field-level jobs is very multi-faceted, so I was always doing something different and developing new skills.

The people at ACS are wonderful. They all have very big hearts and care strongly about helping people and furthering the mission to eradicate cancer. Especially at the field level, the bonds formed between staff are very strong. Everyone is willing to help out his or her coworkers all the time.

ACS is a very well-respected company with a mission to eliminate cancer, which is something to be proud of.

Cons

Over the past year, the organization has been going through a restructuring called Transformation. The goal of transformation is to cut expenses, become consistent nationwide, and put more money toward the mission programs, services, and research. I do believe that ACS will have a greater impact on the face of cancer after Transformation, but the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) is going about it in the wrong way--at the expense of the staff. In any organization, staff account for the greatest cost, but they are also the greatest asset. As a whole, morale at ACS is very low. Originally, we were told by the SLT that we would be getting consistent role titles and descriptions, but that we would not have to reapply for our jobs. After that, we were told that all staff nationwide would have to reapply, that there was no "passive employment," and that if we did not reapply, we would not have a job. As the jobs have been rolled out in different waves, many people have discovered that their positions have been eliminated with no comparable job. "Comparable" now means 3-4 times the workload at the same pay. So, if staff are lucky enough to get rehired after competing with their friends and colleagues for fewer positions, they likely have a much larger territory to cover, have more responsibilities, and will not get any sort of compensation increase. The SLT has rolled out a meager severance package for people who do not get hired, which has so many constraints that many people will not even be eligible to take it. So, staff who have spent 30+ years here who have their positions eliminated but can't yet retire will likely be left with no job and no severance. Bottom line is that staff are being treated as expendable, despite years of dedicated service to ACS, working way more hours than they ever got paid for; sacrificing precious time with friends and family to go to evening meetings, weekend fundraisers, and trainings; and living paycheck-to-paycheck on a very meager salary. Yet, the SLT continues to send almost daily emails telling staff to "stay focused" and "hang in there" while all of this happens.

To the Senior Leadership Team-- listen to the field staff and volunteers before making decisions that impact the entire organization. They are the most valuable asset to this organization, and they are the ones in the trenches actually doing the work that fuels the organization. Do not treat staff as if they are not important. Do not take advantage of their dedication to the cause and put their livelihood in jeopardy. Recognize that without those dedicated field staff, there would be no way to support ACS programs and services. If you don't respect your staff and treat them with dignity, they will leave, which is happening now. When staff no longer feel valued by the ACS, there will be no reason to work here--they certainly don't do it for the paycheck, and the "warm fuzzies" do not pay the bills and put food on the table. You think staff turnover is high now--imagine what it will be like when the talented staff have all been forced to leave, for fear of being unemployed.

A mission you can believe in

I have been working at American Cancer Society

Pros

Flexibility in your schedule. Ability to truly make a difference and see the fruits of your labor. The programs and services offered to patients by this organization are unparalled (unfortunately they struggle telling that story)

Cons

The organization struggles in being timely, they are slow to make decisions and in order to be successful through their transformation they need to focus on being much more agile and responsive in the new climate.

There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society

Worked for American Cancer Society? Contribute to the Community!