There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society

Learned a lot, and the volunteers drive you to work hard each and every day

Former Employee - Specialist in Detroit, MI
Former Employee - Specialist in Detroit, MI

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work with some amazing people- the volunteers are awesome and you definitely learn a lot. Each day you feel like you are making a difference in the lives of others.

Cons

The organization is becoming typical corporate America, and staff are not valued like they used to be. Management tends to be unprofessional. The idea of doing more with less creates major burn out.

Advice to Management

Stay honest & work on professionalism. Remember to treat others as you would like to be treated.

Other Employee Reviews for American Cancer Society

I worked for the American Cancer Society for more than 15 years

Former Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Field staff, volunteers, the ability to ease the burden of people who are, more than likely, facing some of the biggest challenges in their lives.

Cons

National Management, Division management, poor choices for Division leadership positions during transformation. Very political.

Advice to Management

Please don't speak to your staff like they are children. You have already lost a large percentage of your "seasoned and experienced" staff members. In order to cut costs, you also cut your nose off to spite your face. I have moved on from ACS after giving over 15 years of my heart and soul to the mission--my only regret is that our patients and communities are going to pay the price for your decisions.

Has the top leadership forgotten about the Mission and the employees? YES!

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time

Pros

Great mission. Dedicated staff. Wonderful volunteers.

Cons

Top leadership has forgotten about the dedicated staff that work countless hours for the organization. Hiring within "transformation" has been extremely political and it has become the "good ole' boys club" of hiring friends over skill. The HR department is nonexistent and offers no support when a family member has cancer and it appears to be even worse if the employee has cancer. And good luck navigating and fighting with insurance during difficult times. Benefits get worse every year...and we are a health based organization. Google the salaries of the top layer of staff. Then you will know where the money actually goes.

Advice to Management

Change quickly or watch the organization continue to lose funds, staff, and the fight against cancer.