There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society

A good company to start out with, but not for the long term.

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mission of the organization is great and many of the volunteers I work with are wonderful and inspiring. ACS provides good benefits and PTO as well.

Cons

Transformation was downplayed from the beginning and many employees were uncertain whether they would have a job or not for a very long time. It also created awkward situations in the office when employees were let go. The job has very long hours for what we are paid, and whether or not you have a flexible schedule depends on who your manager is. There are very few opportunities for advancement, so many employees are stuck in field positions. For the employees in field positions, there are very high expectations and many times we do not have the resources we need to reach our goals, or we get the resources too late.

Advice to Management

The most successful managers I have worked with have been in field positions and have worked their way up. When managers are hired from outside the organization, often times they don't fully understand what the field staff job is really about. Also, when employees work such long hours with evenings and weekends, they should be able to have a flexible schedule and not be required to be in the office 9-5 every day as well.

Other Employee Reviews for American Cancer Society

I thought I would retire here!

Former Employee - Community Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The vast amount of money given for cancer research

Cons

The pay is awful for the amount of work out in; difficult to promote within; HUGE turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Have better interpersonal skills and increase pay for community workers.

Disappointment from day 1

Former Employee - Income Development Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Income Development Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with a variety of volunteers, helping people and working from home when needed.

Cons

Crazy long hours, very little work/life balance, poor leadership, no opportunity for advancement. No training in position. Did I mention poor leadership? Making someone a Regional Director with 0 experience is STUPID.

Advice to Management

Don't base performance strictly on how much money is raised by staff. There is more to than just numbers.