There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society

A good company to start out with, but not for the long term.

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The mission of the organization is great and many of the volunteers I work with are wonderful and inspiring. ACS provides good benefits and PTO as well.

Cons

Transformation was downplayed from the beginning and many employees were uncertain whether they would have a job or not for a very long time. It also created awkward situations in the office when employees were let go.

The job has very long hours for what we are paid, and whether or not you have a flexible schedule depends on who your manager is. There are very few opportunities for advancement, so many employees are stuck in field positions. For the employees in field positions, there are very high expectations and many times we do not have the resources we need to reach our goals, or we get the resources too late.

The most successful managers I have worked with have been in field positions and have worked their way up. When managers are hired from outside the organization, often times they don't fully understand what the field staff job is really about.

Also, when employees work such long hours with evenings and weekends, they should be able to have a flexible schedule and not be required to be in the office 9-5 every day as well.

442 Other Employee Reviews for American Cancer Society (View Most Recent)

Community manager

Current Employee - Community Manager in Peachtree City, GA
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Peachtree City, GA

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Family oriented, great working environment, and great cause

Cons

No work life balance and low pay for amount of work/hours required to work.

Work on balancing out work load

My tenure at ACS was fulfilling due to the mission of the organization, the dedicated volunteers, and hard working staff

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary, benefits, professional development, career advancement, paid time off

Cons

HQ & senior leadership out of touch with reality in the field. Micro-management. Departmental silos. Lack of "all for one and one for all" attitude amongst departments.

Listen to your staff AND act upon their recommendations. Transformation should have taken a footnote from the highest per capita division in the nation, instead of taking "change" in the opposite direction.

There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society