American Cancer Society

www.cancer.org
  www.cancer.org
There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society

Loved the mission, politics much to prevalent to stay on track.

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The best reason to work with the American Cancer Society is the volunteers. Enabling people to make a difference in the fight against cancer is incredible. It also served my own need to be a part of the solution.

Cons

Too many ladder climbers and politics in this organization. It is natural to want to further your own career, but when it comes at a cost to others and the organization, there needs to be some changes in the way things are done.. The culture is one of micromanagement in many cases and big egos that get in the way of the mission.

Stay in touch with the real reason this organization exists.

466 Other Employee Reviews for American Cancer Society (View Most Recent)

A good company to start out with, but not for the long term.

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The mission of the organization is great and many of the volunteers I work with are wonderful and inspiring. ACS provides good benefits and PTO as well.

Cons

Transformation was downplayed from the beginning and many employees were uncertain whether they would have a job or not for a very long time. It also created awkward situations in the office when employees were let go.

The job has very long hours for what we are paid, and whether or not you have a flexible schedule depends on who your manager is. There are very few opportunities for advancement, so many employees are stuck in field positions. For the employees in field positions, there are very high expectations and many times we do not have the resources we need to reach our goals, or we get the resources too late.

The most successful managers I have worked with have been in field positions and have worked their way up. When managers are hired from outside the organization, often times they don't fully understand what the field staff job is really about.

Also, when employees work such long hours with evenings and weekends, they should be able to have a flexible schedule and not be required to be in the office 9-5 every day as well.

I thought I would retire here!

Former Employee - Community Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The vast amount of money given for cancer research

Cons

The pay is awful for the amount of work out in; difficult to promote within; HUGE turnover rate.

Have better interpersonal skills and increase pay for community workers.

There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society