There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society

Loved the mission, politics much to prevalent to stay on track.

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best reason to work with the American Cancer Society is the volunteers. Enabling people to make a difference in the fight against cancer is incredible. It also served my own need to be a part of the solution.

Cons

Too many ladder climbers and politics in this organization. It is natural to want to further your own career, but when it comes at a cost to others and the organization, there needs to be some changes in the way things are done.. The culture is one of micromanagement in many cases and big egos that get in the way of the mission.

Advice to Management

Stay in touch with the real reason this organization exists.

reviews filtered by

A good company to start out with, but not for the long term.

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mission of the organization is great and many of the volunteers I work with are wonderful and inspiring. ACS provides good benefits and PTO as well.

Cons

Transformation was downplayed from the beginning and many employees were uncertain whether they would have a job or not for a very long time. It also created awkward situations in the office when employees were let go.

The job has very long hours for what we are paid, and whether or not you have a flexible schedule depends on who your manager is. There are very few opportunities for advancement, so many employees are stuck in field positions. For the employees in field positions, there are very high expectations and many times we do not have the resources we need to reach our goals, or we get the resources too late.

Advice to Management

The most successful managers I have worked with have been in field positions and have worked their way up. When managers are hired from outside the organization, often times they don't fully understand what the field staff job is really about.

Also, when employees work such long hours with evenings and weekends, they should be able to have a flexible schedule and not be required to be in the office 9-5 every day as well.

2. Community manager

Current Employee - Community Manager in Peachtree City, GA
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Peachtree City, GA

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family oriented, great working environment, and great cause

Cons

No work life balance and low pay for amount of work/hours required to work.

Advice to Management

Work on balancing out work load