There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society

Great place to work

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time

Pros

Fantastic cause, an organizationt that truly does a lot of good for a lot of people. Great benefits including time off package and pension plan.

Cons

Senior leadershup can be micro-managing at times.

Advice to Management

You hire great people - trust them.

reviews filtered by
  1. Wake up feeling as if I work for an organization making a difference.

Current Employee - Senior Representative
    Current Employee - Senior Representative

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excited about the shift in culture. Embracing CRM and consultative sales techniques. Passionate people and volunteers building lasting relationships. Flexible schedule, great for working parents.

Cons

With any organization in transistion, attitudes and advancement based upon cultural shift and not prior accountabilites are yet to be seen.

Advice to Management

Personal development and skill set growth go a long way in employee morale even in the absence of career advancement.

ACS: Always Changing Something - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Current Employee - Marketing and Communications
    Current Employee - Marketing and Communications

I have been working at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Yes, we had to change. If we hadn't, we'd have imploded. We have done a good job of remaining focused on our mission. It does feel like we'll have more direct lines of command.

Cons

We still have people in leadership roles who do not connect through all ranks. Example - while preparing for National Volunteer Week, the Society Talk program featured top leaders talking about their experiences with volunteers. It seemed doubtful that those leaders worked "on the ground, in the field" with the same types of people most of our staff work with.

Advice to Management

Many of our positions now seem to have fewer opportunities for advancement within the same job family. It's easy to feel a bit "stuck" in a role.

There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society