American Cancer Society

Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society

Great mission - Overpaid Management

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time

Pros

I loved working for a great mission and feeling like I was contributing to the well being of my friends and family.

Cons

While the benefits package was adequate, in my experience management was male dominated and overpaid, while underpaying programmatic staff.

491 Other Employee Reviews for American Cancer Society (View Most Recent)

Events Intern

Former Intern - Events Intern in Mendota Heights, MN
    Former Intern - Events Intern in Mendota Heights, MN

I worked at American Cancer Society as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great cause, people are friendly and passionate about their work, great way to get non-profit experience and get further entrenched in the community

Cons

Interns are underutilized and program is disorganized; there is a lot more that they could be doing and it is frustrating at times.

Increase utilization of all employees; function less like a non-profit and more like a business; leverage successes across offices better

Ups and downs

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great mission, rewarding to do meaningful work. Great benefits and vacation. Passionate volunteers. Training opportunities are available.

Cons

It will probably be a few years before the whole organization gets back on track. Work/life balance is bad for most people at the HQ office, but some seem to be doing very little. Executives are out of touch with manager and director level staff. Low morale, fear of layoffs is constant. Progressive employee health and wellbeing programs are needed to improve health, productivity, and morale.

Take a look at these reviews and take immediate action. Set an example for other organizations by creating a culture that serves employees well while increasing productivity.

There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society