There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society

For Those Whose Want Their Job to be Their Entire Life

I worked at American Cancer Society

Pros

Meeting the amazing volunteers/survivors whose lives have been touched by cancer

Cons

*Working long and grueling hours, nights and occasionally all weekend, for next to no pay
*Seeing donations go to frivolous party favors, expensive lunches and dinners, and self promotion
*Watching helplessly as termination of important programs hurts people who have depended on us for these services and are now left to fend for themselves

GET OVER YOURSELVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are supposed to be helping others.

433 Other Employee Reviews for American Cancer Society (View Most Recent)

Might be an OK place to work in a few years

Former Employee - Director of Special Events
    Former Employee - Director of Special Events

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It was a great cause to work for, with lots of great, highly dedicated volunteers, but I'm happy to be out. Benefits are great!

Cons

I worked there for 6-7 years before the Nationwide Transformation started. I hope they will be able to get straightened out with all of the staff changes and hiring of new, inexperienced people in order to save money. Morale was never high, and people tended to feel unappreciated and overworked. I can only imagine how bad it is now with less staff. Those who stayed on in these newly developed positions don't even know what they're doing, or what they're supposed to do. ACS reorganized in an attempt to get rid of too much upper management, yet they are now siloed with just as many highly paid upper management.

Appreciate the accomplishments of your employees instead of constantly asking for more. Have a clear plan before you start rolling things out on a big scale. Keep some people around who actually know what they're doing.

Too Many Chiefs, Not Enough Indians

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at American Cancer Society full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits: Health Insurance and PTO Rocks! In the right office flexible work hours. Abel to work through lunch for appointments etc.

Cons

Management isn't involved at all. I see my manager maybe 1x a month and only receive emails for hand slaps and PTO.
    Transformation has finally completed and good Admins were cut due to it. One office didn't hire the only AA who was applying for her own position! Another office with over 20 RFLs and 3 Gala's cut their AA's from 2 to 1. I'm not sure how she will handle it all! Low pay for expected work. I was there for nearly 2 years and did not get a raise. I did receive lots of "Thank You" gifts from Managers and Co-workers so I know it wasn't based on my performance.

The moral of the story is there are too many manageres and not enough actual staff to make the local field office run smoothly.

Take value in your employees out in the trenches, the field offices they are the back bone of your organization. They are the ones bringing in donors, volunteers and working uncompensated hours to make your organization the success that it is.

There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society

Worked for American Cancer Society? Contribute to the Community!