There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society

American Cancer Society is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Project Management in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Project Management in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at American Cancer Society

Pros

Knowing that at the end of the day -- you are helping those with cancer. Unlike for-profit organizations -- it seems that everyone here is working towards a common goal of eliminating cancer. The benefits package is very generous - 4 weeks of vacation on day one. Management seems concerned about work/life balance and getting time off is not a problem. This company spends time hiring the right people.

Cons

Very tight budget -- bad financial times. That said, I believe that they are doing all the right things to ensure that we continue our success with minimal interruption to peoples lives.

Keep doing what you are doing.

439 Other Employee Reviews for American Cancer Society (View Most Recent)

The American Society is a very good place to work, and do good work.

Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at American Cancer Society

Pros

The cause, you are doing something to benefit the world. The work that we do at ACS impacts people's lives directly and it is refreshing to know that what you do matters to indivisuals. Depending on what position you hold within the organization you have a different experience with volunteers and other staff. When interviewing for any job at ACS make sure that you understand your levle of interaction to ensure that it meets your personal tastes. Some folks like direct contant and other prefer more office based work. Overall the work environment if friendly and supportive and genuinely positive.

Cons

You are working with volunteers and in some jobs you are always on call working well beyond 40 hours a week. In some instances if you are working with special event you will be working more like 60 hours per week and on the flip side it is possible that durring the off season you will not be working 40 hours a week, so there are real good times to take vacations. The society is also a very large place to work. It can be dificult some time getting exceptional cross functional groups together because there are so mnay people with so many skills that finding the right team can be challenging.

Give people more freedom to try new things and explore our offerings.

A Cancer of Disharmony

Former Employee - Unknown in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Unknown in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Cancer Society

Pros

The free spirted staff make ACS a great place to work. In addition, knowing that what where you work is doing something great for society is very pleasing. As with many non-profits, your work is not calculated in the amount sales or "numbers' that one can accrue, but the level of commitment one has to one's work.

Cons

ACS is full of politics when it comes to hiring and promotions. They don't appreciate their volunteers as a viable human capital. There is little direction in most cases...Just go fourth and do. Do what? Upper - level management are snobs. They look down on the lower level employees. Furthermore they don't care. They're a professional and you're the scrub....Turn-over ratea are waaaay too high. Not communicative at all. Too much staff gossip. No respect at all!

Appreciate your staff and they will make you proud. Reject your staff and they will reject you and the organization. Give more communication. Stop acting so high and mighty. We're people too.

There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society