There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society

American Cancer Society is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Project Management in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Project Management in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at American Cancer Society

Pros

Knowing that at the end of the day -- you are helping those with cancer. Unlike for-profit organizations -- it seems that everyone here is working towards a common goal of eliminating cancer. The benefits package is very generous - 4 weeks of vacation on day one. Management seems concerned about work/life balance and getting time off is not a problem. This company spends time hiring the right people.

Cons

Very tight budget -- bad financial times. That said, I believe that they are doing all the right things to ensure that we continue our success with minimal interruption to peoples lives.

Keep doing what you are doing.

reviews filtered by

A Cancer of Disharmony

Former Employee - Unknown in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Unknown in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Cancer Society

Pros

The free spirted staff make ACS a great place to work. In addition, knowing that what where you work is doing something great for society is very pleasing. As with many non-profits, your work is not calculated in the amount sales or "numbers' that one can accrue, but the level of commitment one has to one's work.

Cons

ACS is full of politics when it comes to hiring and promotions. They don't appreciate their volunteers as a viable human capital. There is little direction in most cases...Just go fourth and do. Do what? Upper - level management are snobs. They look down on the lower level employees. Furthermore they don't care. They're a professional and you're the scrub....Turn-over ratea are waaaay too high. Not communicative at all. Too much staff gossip. No respect at all!

Appreciate your staff and they will make you proud. Reject your staff and they will reject you and the organization. Give more communication. Stop acting so high and mighty. We're people too.

2. What's it like working for American Cancer Society

Current Employee - Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Cancer Society

Pros

The mission of ACS is the best reason to work for American Cancer Society. It feels good to know that at the end of the day your contribution helped to fight cancer and even better brings along with each new day one step closer to finding a cure. Overall the organization is great, the people are professional and the atmosphere is definitely welcoming. It's one of the best companies I've worked for in all the years of being employed.

Cons

The salaries are not that great because it's a nonprofit organizagtion. I would love to see greater diversity of employees.

Promotion should come from within, then look for external candidates.

There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society