American Cancer Society
www.cancer.org Atlanta, GA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Non Profit Can Truly Change Your Life When You Least Expect It- Crave More

Community Manager (Current Employee)
Baltimore, MD

ProsAllow creativity and encourage creativity when building relationships, new initiatives in targeted communities, and very supportive of event and program volunteers for cancer patients. The drive to keep doing the work we do, is because of the cancer patients and caregivers, and the work means something to each and every one of us. The state level area directors are incredibly supportive of the field and admin staff-never had such support prior to this organization. They encourage volunteers to grow and in many cases leads to employment opportunities.

ConsInput is asked for from NHO, Division Senior Leadership, and state level Executive Leadership but when the process or plan is announced, the input was null and void. The input of those the decisions directly impact on the field level and the patients/caregivers are not strongly considered, they say they do, but don't. I think many organizations see this as a turn-off, but in the end-it really is about the impact we make the lives we save and change.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the NHO and SAD Senior Leadership, visit on the local level other than in Atlanta. Come see how each location's demographics vary, as well as the diversity of the staff and who they are. Undercover Boss might be a method to try out.

Great place to work, if you are ready to work hard.

Executive Director (Current Employee)
    Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at American Cancer Society

Pros: Amazing connection to the mission, unbelievably dedicated and sharp senior leadership. If you know how… Cons: Sometimes the strong committment of staff and leadership leads to a poor work life balance. Working with volunteers means you have to be available… Advice to Senior Management: Keep up the good work listening to your staff, and… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Would NOT Recommend

Community Manager (Former Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

I worked at American Cancer Society

Pros: Great Volunteers Flexible Schedule Great benefits/time off (when you can find time to take it) Ability… Cons: 50-80 hour work week Unqualified management No potential for upward mobility Lack of training… Advice to Senior Management: Listen to the field staff - ask them what is really happening in their offices… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on American Cancer Society.

Worked for American Cancer Society? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Cancer Society reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Cancer Society CEO John R. Seffrin. All reviews posted anonymously by American Cancer Society employees.