There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society

Tough Work/Life Balance

Current Employee - Community Representative
Current Employee - Community Representative

I have been working at American Cancer Society

Pros

Fantastic mission and fun events. Work day can be flexible with option to work out of the office or from home if necessary within a day's activities.

Cons

Lots of night and evening commitments and depending on the areas you're expected to cover, there can be a lot of driving to do.

Advice to Management

Work harder to promote a better work/life balance. Employees can get burned out quickly with the amount of work they're expected to do without the encouragement to keep a good balance.

reviews filtered by
  1. Good

I worked at American Cancer Society

Pros

Very fulfilling; feel good when you go home at night

Cons

too Low of Pay; long hours and not high enough reimbursement for travel costs

Advice to Management

Keep up the incentives for employers.

All work

I have been working at American Cancer Society

Pros

good benefits
    proud of what you do

Cons

If volunteers do not come through with their committments it leaves you with extra work or unmet goals. Lots of instructions from various departments to field staff, no one sees how much requirements there are. They don't realize the hours. LOTS of hours, evenings, and weekends. I specifically asked how many evenings and weekends you work because I was leaving a higher paying job to get out of those. I was lied to . Lower management in my experience is not good, lies to her supervisors. The company takes advantage of salaried personnal this much. Management gives you a seminar on work life balance every couple of years. The last one was by a manager that told us how her phone is off at 5pm everyday and she never takes her laptop home. The people in the room work 50+ hours a week, several evenings a week and that might get you a fair evaluation. Their policy is that NOONE gets the top level evaluation because there is always more potential.

Advice to Management

Spend a week in your field staff shoes. Not just one day.

There are newer employer reviews for American Cancer Society