There are newer employer reviews for American Capital

ACAS Review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at American Capital

Pros

Lots of talented employees, good atmosphere.

Cons

limited opportunities for advancement, lower than market compensation

Turn your focus towards retaining key employees or there will be no one left once the debt restructuring is behind us.

reviews filtered by
  1. Short term uncertainty

I have been working at American Capital

Pros

Entrepreneurial culture. The firm encourages employees to find business & make independent decisions on their portfolio companies, although in hindsight, more rigourous critical thought should be put into some investment decisions.

Cons

Perhaps a little too much of a "shoot first, ask questions later" culture has really limited any downside protections. Their ability to effectuate change at poor performing companies is overstated.

Don't worry about getting the last penny on an asset sale right now. Just get us the liquidity so that we can survive.

2. Great firm hurt by financial crisis.

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at American Capital

Pros

Excellent benefits package and fair compensation. There is a high degree of regard for each employees' well being. If when layoffs were conducted everyone was treated more than fairly. The firm has really taken a hit from the financial crisis so any downsides are related to unavoidable circumstances.

Cons

Poor communication from management. Isolation of various functional groups. HR has done away with the performance management system so it is difficult to know how well you are performing. Some groups are plagued by underperformers who are kept around solely because of tenure.

Communicate with employees to receive more feedback on opportunities to operate business.

There are newer employer reviews for American Capital