There are newer employer reviews for American City Business Journals

It was ok

I worked at American City Business Journals

Pros

It was a great place to start my career in sales. I would recommend it to anyone trying to break into the media industry. It is not a place long term

Cons

Sale manager wasnt cut out to be a sales manager. Publisher didnt lead the right way. didnt interact with entry level employess

take care of your employess they will stay

42 Other Employee Reviews for American City Business Journals (View Most Recent)

satisfying

I worked at American City Business Journals

Pros

networking business to business contacts leads

Cons

new media internet integrated marketing

staying client focused

A good place to work if you play the "office politics" game.

Former Employee - Advertising Consultant
    Former Employee - Advertising Consultant

I worked at American City Business Journals

Pros

Good benefits plan. Manageable amount of hours worked each week for a balanced life. You can connect with CEO's, CFO's, COO's of well recognized companies along with meeting a lot of top notch business contacts in the community. 90% of the people you work with are good people.

Cons

The management team is clueless from the corporate office to each individual Business Journal around the country. Management does not seem to care about their employees. In a world where the newspaper industry is losing market share, sales quotas continue to go up at unrealistic expectations. Commissions have decreased along with bonuses. I was making a six-figure income for years but was capped due to slashing commission percentages and bonuses. They don't want you to hit quota so they don't have to pay you a higher commission! What ever happened to the win-win concept!?

Each Business Journal paper empowers the Publisher as the leader for that specific market. Publishers are not equipped to manage all three divisions of the paper effectively (sales, editorial and circulation). They typically do good to ok managing the editorial side but make it an absolute train wreck for the sales team. The Advertising Director usually is simply a puppet and told what to do by the Publisher (who usually never has any management experience).
    I saw extreme favoritism within the sales side. I have seen very good sales people leave the organization due to terrible management favoritism and those who kiss-up get handed the moon and stars. If you build the business up, they have been known to take a chunk of it away to hire a new sales person.

They pit each market against each other. Instead of a team environment, they have quarterly sales contests that put mega pressure on the sales staff to out perform the other markets. Yes, most sales jobs are competitive but this strategy is simply ridiculous. The Publishers and Ad Directors of all the papers crack the whip and make it a very uncomfortable environment.

In my market they have really downsized their employees. They don't even have a receptionist anymore! The production team is understaffed and under appreciated. Their are two people doing the work of three to four employees. The editorial staff is unhappy because the company got rid of a good chunk of their free-lance writers so all of the people in editorial have to write way more stories each week thus creating turnover. All of the salaried employees have had to take a 5% pay cut for two years (I heard they recently stopped the pay cut...probably due to bad employee morale).

Yes, I do hear good stories but the majority of the Business Journal papers around the country unfortunately treat their employees this way. They have Best Places to Work events in most markets. If they participated in their own event, they would not be a Best Places to Work candidate. The above comments are simply my opinion however a lot of current and previous employees would agree! Do your research when picking a market to work in.

Put people before profit and you would be surprised how much morale would change. Have realistic expectations in the ever declining newspaper industry (your new website launch will not be a "saving grace" mentality). If you empower the Publisher, give him/her proper training on how to be a leader!

There are newer employer reviews for American City Business Journals