There are newer employer reviews for American City Business Journals

Great company, challenging industry

I have been working at American City Business Journals full-time

Pros

The best health benefits I have ever seen or heard of and they match up to 3% of employee 401k contributions. They provide a fair amount of vacations, personal and sick time. Management is flexible with work hours and I never feel too micro-managed. The managers know how to motivate their teams and provide incentives. The managers at all levels are diligent about recognizing excellence and publicly praising high performers in front of their co-workers. The fact they make such an effort to reward excellence really makes the employees want to continue doing well.

Cons

ACBJ has 40 business journals. Communication does not always make it all they way down the chain of command, so sometimes front-line employees feel disconnected. ACBJ is doing a pretty good job developing an audience for the digital platforms, but the newpaper industry is still in a decline stage of business, which makes things a little unsettling at times. Some markets are not hitting their advertising budget, which causes a strain on all the other departments.

Take a look at the markets that are not doing well and evaluate leadership. Experience does not always equal success. Older publishers and/or editors have had a hard time with the decline of print. Many of them do not understand new technology so it makes leading in an era of changing times very difficult. Just because a publisher has been in their position for 20 years does not mean they are the best person for the job. ACBJ needs fresh blood at many of their publications (FL).

42 Other Employee Reviews for American City Business Journals (View Most Recent)

Not bad

I worked at American City Business Journals

Pros

In decent shape compared to a lot of media organizations

Cons

Long hours, little respect. Management is benign but a little out of touch.

Involve the individual markets more in.decision making

Great employee benefits, communication could be better.

I have been working at American City Business Journals

Pros

I have never had a better health plan than work for ACBJ. The company is great at recognizing hard working employees.

Cons

The communication between corporate and local papers could be much better. I feel like I get old news all that time. Also, it's scary working for a newspaper since advertising just isn't selling as much. I am always afraid of getting laid off.

More company-wide communication. Managers don't do a good job of relaying information from corporate down to their individual employees.

There are newer employer reviews for American City Business Journals