There are newer employer reviews for American Civil Liberties Union

good learning experience

Former Employee - Paralegal  in  New York, NY
Former Employee - Paralegal in New York, NY

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union

Pros

a good place to go if you are exploring a legal path, but not sure if you want to go to law school. great people to work with!

Cons

the job is generally mind-numbing

24 Other Employee Reviews for American Civil Liberties Union (View Most Recent)

Lost Its Way

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union

Pros

The ACLU plays a very important political and legal role in this country. I was always proud to say I worked there, especially in the wake of 9/11. Also, they have a nap room.

Cons

There is a continuing misery among much of the staff. The higher-ups claim to care about you as a person and your professional development, but they don't. Anthony Romero is a charlatan -- the whole place went downhill after Ira Glasser left.

Be honest and forthright with your employees -- and with the board members. Show loyalty to your long-term employees, who have built the organization with their sweat and tears. Remember that the ACLU is worth more than the biggest Ford Foundation grant.

Law Clerk

Former Employee - Law Clerk
    Former Employee - Law Clerk

I worked at American Civil Liberties Union as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Working as a law clerk for the ACLU was an incredible experience. I learned more about the law, civil rights and civil liberties from working there than I did in law school.

Cons

Demanding amount of work especially if you are a current student. However, they were cooperative with any conflicting school schedules and especially understanding during final examinations.

There are newer employer reviews for American Civil Liberties Union

Worked for American Civil Liberties Union? Contribute to the Community!