There are newer employer reviews for American College of Cardiology

Great Benefits

I worked at American College of Cardiology full-time

Pros

Great people and great benefits.

Cons

Hard to be promoted to the next level.

reviews filtered by
  1. Positive Experience

I worked at American College of Cardiology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very autonomous and supportive environment. My management encouraged me to share my ideas and always gave solid guidance. My supervisors encouraged work/life balance and in return, I was motivated to strive to go above and beyond. Success was rewarded and mishaps were coached. Members are amazing and appreciative of dedicated staff. Salary and benefits were strong.

Cons

Some people may find the environment too heavily based on politics but I found that if you treat staff and members with respect, this wasn't too much of a factor.

The experience of former staff will vary greatly depending on the manager they had so continue to weed out those on the gravy train and promote the advancement of those who actually care about the mission of the College.

2. Big gap between employees & management, lots of favoritism

Former Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC

I worked at American College of Cardiology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits are really good and, if you are luck enough to be full-time, you will get a decent salary + benefits package. Staff are great - I can't emphasize that enough - and workplace conditions are really good. Clean, friendly, casual dress policy. HR tries to make work seem very employee-friendly but using different words doesn't exactly change what really happens.

Cons

There is a very big gap between management and core staff. Almost no communication, no feedback, no check-ins, no discussion. No communication is common - not with other departments, not with HR, not with your boss. You just have to guess if you are doing things right. Sometimes you are told if you are doing something wrong, but not always. Management always seems (and says they are) really busy but you are never really sure what they are doing … and they come in late and leave early.

The company has a nasty habit of employing temps - and then abruptly firing them - rather than hiring people full-time. Financially it makes sense, as it saves them having to pay a full salary and benefits. It's just not fair, as the actual permanent staff spend a lot of time and effort training temps just to have them gone and someone else in their place the next week. Also, temps can be there for a couple of weeks or some can be strung out for a couple of years.

Lastly, there's little room for growth or career advancement. You are either at the $40k - $50k Coordinator level or you are one of the few members of management.

Talk to your employees. Give them feedback. Nurture their careers and their aspirations for growth. Don't let them sit in the same position for ten years and get cocky/bitter/stagnant/bored/careless.

Talk to each other. Make sure your employees are getting what they need from you or other departments. TALK. COMMUNICATE.

Don't do the revolving temp door thing. It's not fair to anyone, including ACC.

You have a really big responsibility to serve your membership base. That is what you are doing - serving, supporting and assisting members. That is the main responsibility of the organization. Don't forget that. Don't let employees get into a place where they are either ill-trained or too demoralized to adequately serve a membership that has a huge impact.

Take responsibility. Communicate. Be there.

There are newer employer reviews for American College of Cardiology