American Cruise Lines

STAY AWAY

Former Employee - Food Service Manager
Former Employee - Food Service Manager

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Said the money was great and the company would pay for everything.

Cons

Horrible living conditions. Horrible employee food. No free time.
They always said more employees were coming but we were under-staffed the whole summer. 16 hours days, with no breaks and low morale make for a miserable summer.
Some crew members were trained and others were not. This makes it very difficult to work as a team when some are faster than others. There was a lot of bullying amongst crew members and it made it difficult to get anything done.
Other crew members were back stabbers and just wanted you off the ship so they could keep more tips for themselves. Watch out. The safest job on the ship is the galley stew.
I would not recommend this job/company to anyone. It’s the most difficult work environment I have ever working in and I have works in a lot of hotels….

Advice to Management

train managers and crew memebers.

Apr 14, 2015Director of Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. We are very honest and upfront about the challenge of onboard positions and regret that you did not find your employment satisfactory. Most ... More

reviews filtered by

Horrible Job,

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Some co workers are good to be around while they new to the company
    - Most of the passengers were great

Cons

-Living conditions are atrocious with no privacy at all, and the mattresses that you have to sleep on are never changed or cleaned and are used by many, many employees.
    -The working conditions and hours are brutal
    -They will fire you on a whim, you are not an important part of this company, I fired a lot of people on behalf of the home office and then was unceremoniously fired myself
    -The company has one owner who is out of touch with his passengers and everybody is afraid to tell him the truth
    -There is no HR department, just one person who everybody needs permission from to do their jobs
    - The company has a culture of rewarding those who report the wrongdoings of others, whether or not it can be substantiated, it keeps everybody leery of everyone else.
       I would to post pictures on this website of the living conditions, it cant be done

Advice to Management

Stop with the lead by intimidation leadership style

Apr 14, 2015Director of Marketing

Thank you for submitting your comments. We value the feedback of both current and former employees and use this information to make the necessary adjustments that will continue our success and ... More

2. Love/Hate experience with the company

Former Employee - Steward in Guilford, CT
    Former Employee - Steward in Guilford, CT

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-While working with ACL you get to meet incredible people! Your coworkers/managers become your family while you're away.
    -I loved working with the passengers and attending to their every need.

Cons

-They tell you that you get to explore all of these places, which is true and all but with working 14-16 hours a day, 7 days a week with only a 2 hour break each day and an 11:00 curfew, you're too exhausted to do anything.
    - You can be fired just for the mere fact that the manager does not like you.
    - Some of the managers treat you like crap and don't care anything about you.
    - Crew Meal is horrible!
    - There are managers who gossip with the stewards/deckhands about the company.

Advice to Management

- Start treating your Stewards/Deckhands like adults!
    - Show more respect
    - Listen to both sides to a story before letting someone go!

Apr 14, 2015Director of Marketing

We appreciate your taking the time to submit your review. We understand that working on a cruise ship is not an easy job. We make it very clear in posted job descriptions and interviews about the ... More

There are newer employer reviews for American Cruise Lines