American Cruise Lines

There are newer employer reviews for American Cruise Lines

Enjoyable work/career experience

Current Employee - Hotel Manager
Current Employee - Hotel Manager

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I've been with the company (shipboard) since 2005 and have sincerely enjoyed my time with ACL. I started with an internship as a steward (12 weeks) and returned as a Cruise Director after my college graduation. I've been able to learn and perform the duties of Hotel Manager, Assistant HM, Housekeeping Mgr and Food Service Mgr throughout my years. I feel that knowing all these positions would help me, if I would ever choose to get a position with another company.

The accommodations onboard for managers are very comfortable, private rooms with private bathrooms. There however are some cases where you will need to share a room with another manager but accommodations for shared rooms are comfortable as well. The food is great and although I'm not too picky, the chefs do make special accommodations for crew with dietary restrictions (diabetic, lactose intolerant, vegetarian).

Every year, before the season starts, we have a Leadership Retreat with shipboard officers and the owner/President of the company as well as other important Home Office employees. This is an awesome time to get everyone together, share new information and ideas, and get ready for the new season ahead. The President always has an open discussion and I feel he really takes into consideration our concerns, opinions and ideas.

The company has continued to grow (but remains a small business) since I started and there are several new ships and itineraries in the works for the next few years. I feel confident that there is opportunity for growth for employees who express interest. The company has remained flexible and accommodating to my personal needs over the years.

I feel the benefits and pay for any management position onboard is, at minimum, average if not above average. The company pays for travel between home airport and the ship when scheduled to work. They offer insurance and 401 benefits, provide uniforms, and when you work, you don't pay for food/rooming costs (great way to save money). The company also offers an incentive program to Hotel Officers which can greatly add to your weekly salary.

Cons

The only negative thing for me is that I hate wearing a scarf as part of the uniform (I don't find it attractive, and it's hot in the summer). Other than that...
I don't find there to be any real negatives to working here IF employees can keep an open mind and can remain flexible. This is not a typical 9-5 office job, as most positions in hospitality aren't. This is a lifestyle choice as you remain away from friends and family for weeks at a time (technology, such as FaceTime has become a good friend of mine). We do work long hours while onboard however, the time spent forming relationships with passengers is rewarding as many of them return for several cruises a year. Also, the reward for working long hours onboard is the amount of time you get off throughout the season (weeks at a time/off season).

I think that the management is very approachable and checks in with their employees regularly.

33 Other Employee Reviews for American Cruise Lines (View Most Recent)

Wonderful Time:)

Former Employee - Steward in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Steward in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Traveling was the biggest for me. I had never been on the east coast prior to working for ACL and I got to see everything I wanted and more.

Cons

Working everyday was sometimes tiresome, but we got our duties done and were able to have time off the ship.

Spend more time training new people that come on the ship. You can't just throw somebody into the fire and expect them not to burn. They will just end up walking off if you set them up with failure.

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Steward in Bangor, ME
    Former Employee - Steward in Bangor, ME

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you like being on a boat and working for several weeks at a time, then I would definitely recommend this company to you. I found that it was pretty easy to get along with just about everyone on the boat. It was definitely a different job experience for me, but I did enjoy working for them.

Cons

Being in small quarters with the other women workers. Long days.

There are newer employer reviews for American Cruise Lines