American Cruise Lines

Add Review

Steward

Former Employee - Steward in Providence, RI
Former Employee - Steward in Providence, RI

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

While working for this company, I was able to travel to many places, meet new people, make very decent money and if I stayed longer I would have tried to get promoted and it probably would have happened.

Cons

Working for this company, you are away from family and friends, you are overworked, you have no time for yourself until 9 pm at night, you have very long days and you are put in one room with 9 other people where you have to share everything. The turnover was horrible. Every week we had someone new joining us that we had to train.

Advice to Management

Giving people time off is something I would consider if I was management and giving people more breaks. In order for the crew to be successful, they need a break to replenish and get themselves together. For example, doing laundry. There was never time to wash your uniform.

Apr 13, 2015Director of Marketing

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback. At American Cruise Lines we greatly value the opinions of both former and current employees and use this information to review our operating ... More

reviews filtered by

Most Worldly and Amazing Experience a girl from Montana could ask for!!!!

Former Employee - Onboard Hotel Officer in Billings, MT
    Former Employee - Onboard Hotel Officer in Billings, MT

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for American Cruise Lines can fall nothing short of Fantastic! I loved my time onboard and every day I miss working for them. The friendships you make with your co-workers will last forever. You get the opportunity to meet new passengers every week from all walks of life. All of the ports present you with new history, scenery and activities to indulge in. Life onboard will teach you to be organized, tidy and prepared. As a person you will grow and develop into your true self. The experiences will never leave you and to top it off these experiences add to your resume and open countless doors for you in the future. Pay is decent and the bonuses great! You get 3 meals a day (and the option to sometimes dine ashore and try local cuisine is always a perk too). In the time I was onboard I was able to work my way up from Cruise Director to Hotel Manager, this company truely believes in their employees and giving them the opportunity to grow.

Cons

All I can truely say is being away from my daughter weeks at a time was very hard. However, if I was not a single mother I would still be with ACL.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. You have a wonderful company with wonderful clientel and I appreciate the opportuity you gave me.

Apr 13, 2015Director of Marketing

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your time working for American Cruise Lines. We take the feedback of both current and former employees very seriously ... More

Never Had a Problem, Great Experience

Former Employee - Deck Hand in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Deck Hand in Charleston, SC

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was good! Especially for a young person with no college degree. All expenses were paid, the food was great, the living conditions were ok, college dorm style. I was a deckhand on the cruise line, and though the job was tough, that's what we signed up for. You will work every day, and go to bed tired, but I loved every minute of it! I loved visiting the new ports, and made a lot of friends, some of whom I still talk to years later! I did not have a problem with management, our mates and captains were nice and professional. All the hotel management and cruise directors were very friendly. The chefs made delicious food. I would recommend to any young person that wants an awesome experience and doesn't mind hard work.

Cons

The no days off kind of get to you, but you get laundry day as a deck hand once a week, and that is kind of like a day off. All you do is wash clothes and fold them, you get to sit and take breaks in between loads. I also wished there was a place for the workers to gather to hang out. Men and women weren't allowed in each others quarters. We had to gather in the dining room until curfew then we went to our rooms. Also, better internet on the boat. I think the only place I could get good wifi was on the stairs of the laundry room.

Advice to Management

Maybe during the interview process, let the potential employees know exactly what they are in for to help reduce turnover.

Apr 13, 2015Director of Marketing

We appreciate your taking the time to write this review. Yes, our deckhand positions are very demanding, requiring long hours and a physical stamina not many people are used to. We do our best to ... More