American Cruise Lines

Steward

Former Employee - Steward  in  Providence, RI
Former Employee - Steward in Providence, RI

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time for less than a year

Pros

While working for this company, I was able to travel to many places, meet new people, make very decent money and if I stayed longer I would have tried to get promoted and it probably would have happened.

Cons

Working for this company, you are away from family and friends, you are overworked, you have no time for yourself until 9 pm at night, you have very long days and you are put in one room with 9 other people where you have to share everything. The turnover was horrible. Every week we had someone new joining us that we had to train.

Giving people time off is something I would consider if I was management and giving people more breaks. In order for the crew to be successful, they need a break to replenish and get themselves together. For example, doing laundry. There was never time to wash your uniform.

30 Other Employee Reviews for American Cruise Lines (View Most Recent)

Never Had a Problem, Great Experience

Former Employee - Deck Hand  in  Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Deck Hand in Charleston, SC

I worked at American Cruise Lines full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay was good! Especially for a young person with no college degree. All expenses were paid, the food was great, the living conditions were ok, college dorm style. I was a deckhand on the cruise line, and though the job was tough, that's what we signed up for. You will work every day, and go to bed tired, but I loved every minute of it! I loved visiting the new ports, and made a lot of friends, some of whom I still talk to years later! I did not have a problem with management, our mates and captains were nice and professional. All the hotel management and cruise directors were very friendly. The chefs made delicious food. I would recommend to any young person that wants an awesome experience and doesn't mind hard work.

Cons

The no days off kind of get to you, but you get laundry day as a deck hand once a week, and that is kind of like a day off. All you do is wash clothes and fold them, you get to sit and take breaks in between loads. I also wished there was a place for the workers to gather to hang out. Men and women weren't allowed in each others quarters. We had to gather in the dining room until curfew then we went to our rooms. Also, better internet on the boat. I think the only place I could get good wifi was on the stairs of the laundry room.

Maybe during the interview process, let the potential employees know exactly what they are in for to help reduce turnover.

Deck Hand

Current Employee - Deckhand  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Deckhand in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at American Cruise Lines full-time for less than a year

Pros

One of those "once in a lifetime" experiences. The friends you will make from working with a tight-knit group of peers. I would a liken it to "college aged summer camp", you do put in the work but you will save up a lot of money and will have a great time spending your free time with rest of the crew. You will save money because you really have no time to spend it. You get to see parts of the country you might have otherwise never thought of visiting. This was recommended to me through a friend I knew from school and if you ask either of us, it was a life experience we would probably not trade up. Dirty Bird summer '07 4 life!!

Cons

The company really caters to a certain niche market which is old, old people...So the decor and the layout of the ship is suited for that. You do work longs hours and as a deckhand on any water worthy vessel you have to work all hours of the day and night(firewatch and you actually steer the ship when sailing to the next port). You might get really bored in your free time if not creative with it. It also really depends on who you get as a direct supervisor whether its the hotel mgr or the first mate, it will vary.

Be more considerate in the expectations you have for the crew members who come aboard to work for a season. Most of us are just college aged kids who do work hard but do not have any intentions of become a merchant marine or mapping out a career as a hotel maid or restaurant server. I had a first mate who came on for a week and just could not get passed the idea that we are college kids on our summer break and we aren't going to run around and do things perfectly or efficiently as the coast guard. BE REAL... The other first mate who was with us the majority of the summer was GREAT and even though the crew caused a ruckas from time to time, still understood we are just college kids on summer break. Also was not impressed when I was working on the American Eagle on the Chesapeake line and you guys got desperate for crew and hired 40- 50 year old transient workers...

There are newer employer reviews for American Cruise Lines

Worked for American Cruise Lines? Contribute to the Community!