American Diabetes Association
www.diabetes.org Alexandria, VA 500 to 999 Employees

Great Co-Workers that work towards the common goal, incompetent management.

Associate Manager (Former Employee)
Alexandria, VA

Pros* Benefits ~ having medical coverage day 1 of being hired is a plus. Seemingly endless vacation time, personal time, and paid holidays are great!

*Co-Workers ~ we all work together towards the common goal and get along very well. Any grievances one has, all have.

* Scheduling ~ management is pretty fair when it comes to requesting time off. Monday- Friday work week only. Pretty flexible.

* Dress Code ~ fairly laid back but not ridiculous. Able to wear jeans year round, only requesting to dress up if interacting with the public which is extremely rare in the Call Center.

*Incentives ~ when you do a great job, you WILL be recognized for it. By your peers and even the management team. Gift cards, incentive point=$, and birthday decorations are small gestures that make a BIG difference.

ConsIf you think that working in the Call Center that you will really "make a difference" and "save lives", think again. You are now on the "front line" to take bullets from angry callers for other departments. We all fell for that spiel when we were hired, just to figure out that we're the "low men on the totem pole" that handle ever other departments' mistakes. As with most customer service positions, prepare to be cursed out and yelled at for things you have no control over. The majority of the information that you learn in training, does not prepare you for the calls you will receive. 85% of my calls are complaints or transfers, 10% donation calls and 5% are diabetes information calls.

Some managers are great at what they do some others are not. Thankfully, the current managing director will be replaced. She did not believe in speaking to her employees or even being present. When she was present, she was clueless as to what was going on. Hopefully a more approachable and personable personality will take her spot. There is one EXCEPTIONAL floor manager that is very attentive, helpful, and proactive in serving the constituents and helping you help the callers. The other, not so much. If you prefer to be spoken to in a condescending manner and given every reason as to why you will NOT be helped in resolving a caller's issue, the other floor manager is your best bet! She's great at making you feel little and as if you aren't doing your job properly as she does everything in her power to avoid actually doing her job as a manager.

Simple requests (not even demands) are not taken into consideration nevertheless thought of from other departments. Examples include; adding a number to the appropriate group to help with constituent complaints that would result in FIRST CALL RESOLUTION instead of endless transferring. If the workers in this department are actually heard and taken seriously, the association could expect a much better approval rating.

Weekly meetings are no longer a place to express grievances from the work week or even to take a "sigh of relief" and have free time with your co workers. No longer an open forum as once told to us. It is now a venue for you to be further monitored and scrutinized by your management team, that are taking notes on your behavior to include into your annual performance review.

The call center is changing. They say that they are looking for people who are compassionate and with great personality but constant monitoring and nitpicking is destroying the bit of personalities that we have left. The department has lost a lot of great people and hard workers because they arenot sticking to the CORE values that they have set forth.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people who you feel are "low-level" employees. At the end of the day, we RUN the show and have the power. The more dissatisfied WE are, the more upset constituents will be which will lead to less donations. Show some respect for the workers that handle your CALLS and your MONEY. (The 4th Floor) More team building and opportunities to interact with our fellow department workers outside of "meetings".

It is a good organization, nice vacation compensation but high turnover

Program Coordinator (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

I have been working at American Diabetes Association

Pros: Vacation days, salary, benefits package Cons: High turnover, unable to grow in the company Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Management has no training

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

I worked at American Diabetes Association

Pros: Great Flexibility and time off Cons: Management was not competent as managers ( great in their previous jobs but after promoted to manage others, no training was supplied). I felt that… Advice to Senior Management: Train your EDs, put into place an office survey so… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on American Diabetes Association.

Worked for American Diabetes Association? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Diabetes Association reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Diabetes Association CEO Larry Hausner. All reviews posted anonymously by American Diabetes Association employees.