American Diabetes Association

There are newer employer reviews for American Diabetes Association

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Former Employee - Manager in Alexandria, VA
Former Employee - Manager in Alexandria, VA

I worked at American Diabetes Association full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay for is average, some of the employees are fun and intelligent ,benefits are standard for most places these days. Great Vacation and Personal Time. The CICS is a good work place most of time.

Cons

1. Unclear Direction
2. Contradictions

I have read the review posted on 5/24/12 and I do agree with some of what was posted. What I do not agree with is the assessment of the floor supervisors. One is most certainly not exceptional in anyway. He will smile and tell the upper management whatever he thinks they want to hear. They take this persons word as gospel without verification and as if he speaks for everyone. He does not. What is even worse is that this type of behavior is rewarded. I really hated to right this but felt the need to address the review that was posted on 5/24/12. This really is a good place to work most of the time, however the petty jealousies and high school popularity contest atmosphere is tiring. If you are an adult and are used to people taking responsibility for their actions you will be shocked at the pass the buck mentality of the other departments. While it is true that there are some problems, what work place is perfect? The managers there do try, but they say one thing, but their actions often do not match their words. When I left the call center they had a good core of representatives that do care, but they not at fully staffed and underpaid. Overall I enjoyed my short time there, the truth is I would like to work there again once they have regained focus.

Rewarding toadies and not looking into matters yourself and talking to the individuals there leads to the opinions expressed in the other reviews. Focus on providing the best possible service to those that contact you for help and not of promoting the next attempt at fundraising. Most people realize that non-profit organizations are driven by donations. There should be some parts of your organization that insulated from the need to push your agenda particularly the only part of your organization that many people come in contact with. On that note you should also understand that while the compensation offered is ok it is not great. Realize that your employees at your home office live in one of the most expensive area's in our nation. Pay the public face of your organization a living wage. Understand we are often the only contact some people with have with you, make sure that experience is as good as possible if you want them to be future supporters of your mission . The ADA does good things, but they should be striving not to do good thing but great ones.

59 Other Employee Reviews for American Diabetes Association (View Most Recent)

Great Co-Workers that work towards the common goal, incompetent management.

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Alexandria, VA

I worked at American Diabetes Association full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

* Benefits ~ having medical coverage day 1 of being hired is a plus. Seemingly endless vacation time, personal time, and paid holidays are great!

*Co-Workers ~ we all work together towards the common goal and get along very well. Any grievances one has, all have.

* Scheduling ~ management is pretty fair when it comes to requesting time off. Monday- Friday work week only. Pretty flexible.

* Dress Code ~ fairly laid back but not ridiculous. Able to wear jeans year round, only requesting to dress up if interacting with the public which is extremely rare in the Call Center.

*Incentives ~ when you do a great job, you WILL be recognized for it. By your peers and even the management team. Gift cards, incentive point=$, and birthday decorations are small gestures that make a BIG difference.

Cons

If you think that working in the Call Center that you will really "make a difference" and "save lives", think again. You are now on the "front line" to take bullets from angry callers for other departments. We all fell for that spiel when we were hired, just to figure out that we're the "low men on the totem pole" that handle ever other departments' mistakes. As with most customer service positions, prepare to be cursed out and yelled at for things you have no control over. The majority of the information that you learn in training, does not prepare you for the calls you will receive. 85% of my calls are complaints or transfers, 10% donation calls and 5% are diabetes information calls.

Some managers are great at what they do some others are not. Thankfully, the current managing director will be replaced. She did not believe in speaking to her employees or even being present. When she was present, she was clueless as to what was going on. Hopefully a more approachable and personable personality will take her spot. There is one EXCEPTIONAL floor manager that is very attentive, helpful, and proactive in serving the constituents and helping you help the callers. The other, not so much. If you prefer to be spoken to in a condescending manner and given every reason as to why you will NOT be helped in resolving a caller's issue, the other floor manager is your best bet! She's great at making you feel little and as if you aren't doing your job properly as she does everything in her power to avoid actually doing her job as a manager.

Simple requests (not even demands) are not taken into consideration nevertheless thought of from other departments. Examples include; adding a number to the appropriate group to help with constituent complaints that would result in FIRST CALL RESOLUTION instead of endless transferring. If the workers in this department are actually heard and taken seriously, the association could expect a much better approval rating.

Weekly meetings are no longer a place to express grievances from the work week or even to take a "sigh of relief" and have free time with your co workers. No longer an open forum as once told to us. It is now a venue for you to be further monitored and scrutinized by your management team, that are taking notes on your behavior to include into your annual performance review.

The call center is changing. They say that they are looking for people who are compassionate and with great personality but constant monitoring and nitpicking is destroying the bit of personalities that we have left. The department has lost a lot of great people and hard workers because they arenot sticking to the CORE values that they have set forth.

Listen to the people who you feel are "low-level" employees. At the end of the day, we RUN the show and have the power. The more dissatisfied WE are, the more upset constituents will be which will lead to less donations. Show some respect for the workers that handle your CALLS and your MONEY. (The 4th Floor) More team building and opportunities to interact with our fellow department workers outside of "meetings".

It is a good organization, nice vacation compensation but high turnover

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at American Diabetes Association

Pros

Vacation days, salary, benefits package

Cons

High turnover, unable to grow in the company

There are newer employer reviews for American Diabetes Association