American Eagle Outfitters

www.ae.com
There are newer employer reviews for American Eagle Outfitters

Satisfied

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters

Pros

At American Eagle Outfitters your given the opportunity to experience all sides of a business. Starting from the operations side of things, all the way down to the Talent

Cons

At American Eagle Outfitters the cons would be the ability to grow within the same district. There isnt a lot of movement and a empployee could be stuck in the same position for 5+ years

The leadership at AE is GREAT. You are given clear direction from your superious and are usually provided with the essential tools to compete the task

1069 Other Employee Reviews for American Eagle Outfitters (View Most Recent)

Usually Fun and Enjoyable, but Management is Seriously Lacking.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters

Pros

- Fun place to work
    - There's always something to do, so it's never boring
    - Employee Discount is generous
    - Good place to learn communication skills and dealing with customers
    - Flexible on Hours
    - Most coworkers are friendly and willing to help

Cons

- Managers don't seem to accomplish much
    - Feeling of being talked down to by managers
    - Constantly pushed to ask people to sign up for Rewards or a Credit Card
    - Favoritism between coworkers/managers

Working at AEO is the first retail job I've had. Generally, it's been a fun place to work and I've met many friendly coworkers along the way who have always given me advice and help when needed. Initially I was hired as a temporary but was kept. Since starting, my communication skills have improved and I find that being in retail isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I've never had a problem asking for a day off or coming to the managers with an issue. They are very understanding. I do have a few complaints, however, generally revolving around the lack of management in the store. Nothing ever seems to get done in a timely, orderly manner. The store usually looks messy and there seems to be a lack of authority over some of the workers. Some of my coworkers just hang around and talk their entire shift while some of us are trying to pick up the slack. Managers are the same way, and constantly have side conversations when ringing up customers or on the floor. Unprofessional in my opinion. The managers aren't good at directing who should do what either, which usually leads me to being asked to open fitting rooms while trying to ring people up, and do go-backs.

The worst part of the experience has to be the constant push for AERewards and the AEO Credit Card. On a slow day, the managers want me to get four Rewards sign ups and Two Credit Cards on my shift. Usually its impossible if people already have a rewards card and/or credit card. They even make me track my yes's and no's on a sticky note if I got their rewards card and eMail while ringing. Then after, I'm questioned as to why I didn't meet their goal. They proceed to subtly blame me and that I'm not "as good as them at promoting it."

There's definitely some favoritism too in the workplace. I'm one of the more quiet workers there who isn't close friends with anyone in particular. A simple hello can be responded to with a sarcastic answer and look. The managers definitely have their favorites too.

In general, being a Sales Associate at American Eagle is a good seasonal job for a student or someone who just likes the brand. After a while, however, it gets long in the tooth. Seeing as how there's little chance of a promotion, I wouldn't stay if a better opportunity arose. If the management would actually give direction and carry a higher sense of professionalism, it would positively reflect on the store that I work at.

Unfair promotions and no recognition for the people who are actually working hard for the company!

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters

Pros

-Discount
    -Friendly Staff
    -Fun atmosphere (most of the time anyways)

Cons

-Upper Management doesn't spend enough time in the store to see who is actually doing all of the work
    -Upper Management gives promotions and praise to the managers who are their "favorites"

-Upper Managment needs to spend more time in the actual store instead of pretending like they know what goes on

There are newer employer reviews for American Eagle Outfitters