www.ae.com
  www.ae.com
There are newer employer reviews for American Eagle Outfitters

American Eagle Outfitters

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work place
Cares about employees
Great benefits
Great co-workers

Cons

Lack of hours per week

1066 Other Employee Reviews for American Eagle Outfitters (View Most Recent)

Ok ... not a balanced company

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay, discount, training programs in place.

Cons

Slacker store managers hold onto their jobs while the assistants do all the work. Not great opportunity to move up.

Should re evaluate communication to stores. Too much last minute updates.

A nice place to work if you're 19 years old

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I used to really love working at AEO, as I did for four years. There's a lot of great personalities involved in the company, the style of the clothing is becoming more fashion-forward, and the discount that associates get cannot be beat by other companies, (you get a great discount at Aerie too!)

Cons

Over time I got older and realized that the position I held at the company (sales associate, bottom of the totem pole) was no longer stimulating for me and I didn't feel as if I were being grown into my full potential as an employ, but instead just given boring tasks I felt weren't up to my standards, and thus, lost interest. You also have to work ridiculous floor set hours, (2 nights a week about once a month, from circa 8 or 9 p.m. until whenever it's finished, generally speaking 5 or 6 a.m. One time I worked a floor set that was 7 p.m. to Noon the next day.) I didn't feel as though there was any interest in the district manager to get to know any of the assistant managers, let alone the associates, and I find it slightly ironic that a company rooted so deeply in American standards and branding that they still support overseas production of their clothes. Overall, it's a good company to work for, but don't expect to be treated like anything special there. Not even store managers are that lucky sometimes.

Don't favor your employees. Obviously since the median age of associates is probably 18 years old, there are going to be a lot of kids that work there that do a fantastic job and a lot who don't. You should take more time developing the ones that don't, instead of over looking them as worthless place holders. If you make someone be a greeter everyday that's all they will ever be good at, if they even still have any enthusiasm left afterwards. If you make someone do a job they have expressed their dislike for, it's their way of telling you that they might be better suited doing something else. That is how you help your store become it's best it can be: encouragement and also appropriate placement of employees, as well as good scheduling technique. If you schedule your best employees 40 hours a week, they may also be students or have a second job and you will burn them out quickly, (as a former employee who was also a student at the time, this was VERY IMPORTANT to me, that is, the understanding that school in my life comes first and American Eagle Outfitters comes seconds and that's just the way that it is.) Instead try scheduling more hours to someone who shows potential but may not know the business as well. And it helps to remain positive. I know it's not always easy, but sometimes you have to fake it. If the store manager has a sour attitude it's only going to trickle down the ladder.

There are newer employer reviews for American Eagle Outfitters