Fun working environment

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

pay scale is better than alot of retailers, but it is still not enough for the expectation of managers for the company. employee discount is one of the best in the industry.

Cons

Not enough appreciation for the work you do. Pay scale definately does not meet the intense demand of the position. I have worked for 3 other companies and American Eagle does require alot from their managers... which is fine...but equal pay for equal work! Holiday hours, expecially Black Friday - opening at midnight - life/work balance.

Advice to Management

Please listen to the all store management and associates - and to the customers. We were recently told to turn the volume up on the music and have had numerous complaints from customers that it's too loud! We would like to have more support about our day-to-day issues. Not having denim sizes for our customer - when we are the 'denim destination' in the mall sets us up for failure and not success.

Other Employee Reviews for American Eagle Outfitters

An excellent place to work if you do not plan on making a living.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment is generally fun and friendly. The management and sales staff are pleasant, hard working people. There is a lot of dedication to the brand. Good performance is recognized.

Cons

The biggest push is to sell credit cards. This can be very difficult if a particular store has the policy of offering 15% off ONLY if the customer is approved for a credit card. It was also difficult to get a raise.

Advice to Management

Offer more incentive for customers to sign up for credit cards.

"Live your life" motto means REALLY living and existing for the company only - no worklife balance

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Team members are great as is the store management. Customers enjoy the clothes and discount is really good.

Cons

Absolutely NO worklife balance. Hours change and get cut randomly. District and Regional management is often harsh to employees and are unable or unwilling to help when busy. Life ends for all managers when expecting Corporate visitors in order to make the Regional Management who live there look good.

Advice to Management

Most people come to work for AEO because they love the brand, but the Upper Management needs to understand that yelling and abusive behavior is not a motivational tool. It negatively impacts store morale. The Region does not seem to reflect the positive work environment envisioned by the new CEO.