There are newer employer reviews for American Eagle Outfitters

Prepare to give up your entire life and never be appreciated

Current Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
Current Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent salary, casual work wear, great discount.

Cons

Long long hours, no overtime, field inexperience of upper management, poor communication between corporate departments (LP, merchandising, and operations)

Advice to Management

Do not leave your current job unless it's a significant salary jump. Do not apply if you have a family, hobbies, or a want to keep in touch with friends. On call 24hrs a day. 55hrs a week, paid for 40. Around holidays 65+. Recent changes in 'bonus structure' has made them nearly impossible. Job is way better on paper.

Other Employee Reviews for American Eagle Outfitters

Alright if you don't need to make much money.

Current Employee - Employee in Panama City Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Employee in Panama City Beach, FL

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time

Pros

-Good for high schoolers -Having great coworkers -40% discount, 25% on clearance, and 60% of some seasonal items -Fun atmosphere to work in -Great music -Helping customers, seeing regulars

Cons

-Scheduling was a huge issue (they would put you down to work when you could not work certain days/times of the week) -Having to go in and pick up schedules each week -Little to no hours because they hire way too many people -Crappy pay -Selling credit cards -Call ins were the worst thing. Changing your whole day around to POSSIBLY have a 3 hour shift is not a good way to treat your employees. At least give us more hours if you're going to give us a call in.

Advice to Management

Stop overhiring and instead create LOYAL hardworking employees for your store. You'll have more dedicated workers if you really place an emphasis on training your employees and giving them more hours. If you're going to give us call ins, have shifts that are worth going to. Always respect your workers and we will respect you.

Lovely coworkers(only associates). Horrible pay. Horrible Hours.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Canoga Park, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Canoga Park, CA

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you want to make pocket money you should work here. If you want to make a living, don't.

Cons

Low pay = minimum wage. Crappy hours... I got a lot of hours, but they're crappy hours.. Floorset nights? prepare to stay behind until 6am. maybe more. Managers constantly hire new associates, even when there's already a great team of associates working(the best workers are under-appreciated).

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people. Stop treating associates like babies. Let us learn from our mistakes. Don't place us in every possible position. FIND OUT WHAT WE'RE GOOD AT.. AND DON'T FORCE US TO DO SOMETHING THAT WE CAN'T NATURALLY DO. Company standards "BE REAL" I'm not gonna say How are you to every customer. I'm gonna personalize it. and do it MY WAY. ie: "Hey man how's it going today?" "Dude what's up? Can I help you find something?" "Hey ladies, what's up?" "Hello m'am how are you doing on this lovely day?"