There are newer employer reviews for American Eagle Outfitters

Fun, intense, inspiring.

Former Employee - Visual Merchandising  in  Pittsburgh, PA
Former Employee - Visual Merchandising in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Energetic co-workers. Generally youthful and interesting environment. Lots of impassioned debate. Decent product.

Cons

Pittsburgh - not the most exciting place to live. Sometimes too much nitpicking over tiny details, time wasted on things that are not going to impact the business. Not always open to new ideas and input.

964 Other Employee Reviews for American Eagle Outfitters (View Most Recent)

Nickle-and-dime mentality for associates, inconsistent hours, unreasonable expectations.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Stock
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Stock

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time for less than a year

Pros

Being allowed to listen to whatever music I wanted in the stock room. The assistant managers were fantastic people and saw me as an equal. Willingness to re-work the schedule if needed. Nice discount if you like to buy heavily branded and cheaply made clothes.

Cons

Low pay. Unrealistic expectations for shipment unpacking. Being micromanaged and belittled. No hope for anything better. Inconsistent hours. Overnights. Being told that I needed to put my jacket away before I clocked in-- the store manager didn't want to waste a single cent of my wage on me putting my jacket in my locker (but later that day the store manager sent me to the other side of the mall to grab coffee). Store manager looked down on me.

Create FINANCIAL performance incentives for sales associates and stockroom workers. Create actual training programs for stock associates. This is a multi-billion dollar corporation, cut your low-level employees some slack.

Weak Culture and little accountability

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some perks to working at the HQ, such as great location in PIttsburgh and you will on very seldom occasion get access to the box for sporting events. Also if you are not a morning person most people don't show up till after 9:00 AM.

Cons

There is a lot of rework due to lack of process and lack of tools for the job given. There is also poor communication at time between teams and leadership changes strategy sometime on whim, other times the business does call for it. There is also a general lack of accountability within the organization that should facilitate solutions to the problems.

Understand what is causing rework, develop a culture where ownership of the business is key and develop diverse teams that will work together not a local or party culture that is exclusive. Also use your employees to drive change instead of seeking outside consultants.

There are newer employer reviews for American Eagle Outfitters

Worked for American Eagle Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!