Great Starter Job

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Columbus, GA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbus, GA

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun place to work
Great for students
Good place to start off during school
Great Business/Sales experience

Cons

Odd hours
Working with the general public isn't always the greatest
Some sales associates are only there for the check, not to actually work
Pay isn't that great

Make sure that when your Store Managers are hiring, they hire people who actually care, are generally friendly, and want to help people out. The managers I've had experience with are great, but sometimes can be taken advantage of by the associates.

Other Reviews for American Eagle Outfitters

Average retail store environment

Former Employee - Seasonal Associate  in  Hicksville, NY
    Former Employee - Seasonal Associate in Hicksville, NY

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time for less than a year

Pros

I was a seasonal part-time sales associate, and they offered to keep me on past the holiday season, which was nice. I got a decent amount of hours and started slightly above minimum wage, which for a high school student, was great. Pretty decent discount and really great clothes. They fed us on holidays, which was really nice.

Cons

Management seems to be really cliquey. The training was horrible. I was thrown into the holiday season and all I did was spend a couple hours in the back room reading through some handbooks. There were never enough employees working. I felt like no one knew where I was or what I was even supposed to be doing. There was nowhere to sit on break in the back room and the bathrooms were poorly maintained. That's not a job that sales associates should have to be doing. The store meetings were far and few between and made new seasonal employees like myself feel really unappreciated, since all they did was talk about their veteran great employees that had been there forever. Really, really cliquey and judgmental group of people.

Allot more payroll hours so the stores can be staffed better. Provide better training and methods of employee development so that employees can be more effective. Turn over is high for a reason. Your managers and veteran employees are cliquey and rude and need to be reevaluated. People can't keep getting promoted from within just because they've been there for a long time and are underqualified.

exploited me til i was no longer of use then threw me out like last seasons fashion

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

discounts, that's pretty much it, every now and then you may get a chance to win prizes

Cons

there is a lot of favoritism and outside influences, tons of drama and unprofessional by management, no work life balance and expectation to do 60 hours of work in 40 hours

use the open door policy how it was intended. you can't use this to force others out because your upper management doesn't like someone, and confidential calls means that stop giving out info on the caller

There are newer employer reviews for American Eagle Outfitters.

Worked for American Eagle Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!