American Eagle Outfitters
www.ae.com Pittsburgh, PA 5000+ Employees

A great place to be. I hope the higherups read this review!

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time for more than a year

ProsI do believe that American Eagle Outfitters holds such great promise to be one of the best working retail establishments, as quoted in Forbes magazine's article about the top ten retailers to work at. As a 30 year old post-graduate student, I felt that AE was perhaps the best retail job that I have held within my many years of working within the speciality, and even luxury, retail environment. The staff was above adequate and the management team was nothing short of fantastic. Our staff was close, and I do believe that a close staff and a great management team can make any job a great place to work. Our team went on many outings such as to the beach, to the movies, etc. The management could not go due to contractual obligations as written by the corporate office. We had no problem with drama or gossip because the average ages of the team members were between 26-36. Most of us had college degrees. Due to the recession, the managers knew that when the job market began to pick up the staff would leave. Our store eventually having a higher turnover rate than other stores in the district. I have worked at retailers such as Banana Republic whilst I was in undergradaute school, Victoria's Secret (the worse job ever), and Starbucks (which I equally enjoyed). I loved the management and my team thus making this establishment a great place to work at.

ConsI do believe that every job has negative aspects because there is no such thing as a perfect job. There were days I felt like I wanted to call in sick or leave and never come back; however, that is the working world. My con comes from job opportunities. There is absolutely no room for advancement, and that is something I hated about the company. My managers knew that I wanted to work in Warrendale or Pittsburgh, but they never did anything to help me with it. I told one of them in a meeting I had on my six month anniversary. She said that the other members would do anything to help me with my dream of working in the corporate office. I applied for jobs, but I never heard anything back; however, I did overhear, from one of my coworkers, that the management told the recruiter that I was an adequate employee. That angered me because I held credit training seminars which were meetings to teach new, and existing employees, on how to ascertain credit applications. I also came in at 3.00am on Black Friday to help opening the store, and I even cancelled vacation plans to work. My DM was no help despite her stating that she had such great 'connections.' I am upset as I write this because I love the brand, I love the company makeup and methodology, and I believed that I saw myself working in the corporate office everyday with my head held high, noting to friends and family that I work for such a wonderful company. It was a month later that a girl was promoted to a team lead when they knew that I wanted to advance with the company. I was so upset that a week after her being promoted, I turned in my two week notice and naturally left the company two weeks later. I sat outside in my car and cried after my last shift. I cried because I left my store, and I cried because I was angry about their not upholding their promise to me. I ended up finding a Sales Professional position with the major luxury retailer Brooks Brothers in Charlotte, North Carolina. They are already talking about my advancement with that company.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe that this company needs to continue to practice their ability to be one of the best specialty retailers in the country. Also, I do think that if you have a candidate who wants to work in the corporate office and advance upward through the company; give them that opportunity. All I wanted was just one chance; just one opportunity to show the corporate office what I could do. I do think that I show such dismal dislike towards the company in that regard. If ever offered a job in the corporate office I would take it in a heart beat, but until then, I would never go back and work for the company.

Great experience overall.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Miami, FL

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time for more than a year

Pros: Very flexible schedules and the discounts on the clothing is… Cons: Sometimes the overnights can be a pain because it messes… Advice to Senior Management: NA Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Great Starter Job

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Columbus, GA

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time for more than a year

Pros: Fun place to work Great for students Good place to start off… Cons: Odd hours Working with the general public isn't always the greatest Some sales associates… Advice to Senior Management: Make sure that when your Store Managers are hiring, they hire people who actually care, are generally friendly, and want to… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on American Eagle Outfitters.

Worked for American Eagle Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at American Eagle Outfitters reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for American Eagle Outfitters CEO Robert Hanson. All reviews posted anonymously by American Eagle Outfitters employees.