Live Your Life & Love Your Job

Current Employee - Sales Lead & Keyholder
Current Employee - Sales Lead & Keyholder

Pros

YOU HAVE TO WORK AT PLACES YOUR WANT TO WORK AT ! I choose to work at American Eagle Outfitters because I love everything they are about. The Brand, The Culture, & The Fashion. I decided on when I had my oreintation that i was going to be there for a long time, & I was no seasonal kid. I worked at 2 different stores in my district for the 2 years i have been here. One high volume with over 300 hrs a week and now at 208 hrs a week. store. I average 25-35 HOURS A WEEK at both. I SELL my ass off, I GET 20 - 30 Credit Cards a week, and I KISS ASS like there is no tommorrow. Which is why I am being promoted to Keyholder and I will be Assistant Manager by January. I came to American Eagle Outfitters with NO knowledge about selling, nor KPI's. I am 20-years-old and now look at me. SO STOP COMPLAINING. Maybe if you worked hard, you will be happy like me.

Cons

*Jealsouy ( getting alot of credit cards, sales, re-appearing customers asking for me) *Accusations ( stealing, drawers being short, ALL LIES) i would NEVER steal from the company "DONT YOU DO THAT, thats a no-no !" *Not Much of a Personal Life *Live Your Life At AE, Literally. --but i love it, ;]

Advice to Management

BE A LITTLE BIT MORE NICE & STRESS-FREE your ways are right since you are a $4 BILLION company. but, you do have employees complaining on things which should be fixed ! everyone wants to be happy. HAPPY EMPLOYEES means HIGHER SAME-STORE SALES from last year

Other Employee Reviews for American Eagle Outfitters

Fast-paced and stressful...I love it!

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

It's a tough company to work for, but senior mgmt is supportive and it can be rewarding. It's hard work, but you are definitely rewarded and compensated for your efforts.

Cons

Long hours, 0 downtime. When I'm in my store I'm moving! There are always 9 hours worth of things to complete in 8 hours. Plus helping customers (on top of floor adjustments, visual standards, audits, cleaning, etc.)

Advice to Management

As a store manager, I receive lots of face time with DM's and peers on visits, meetings, etc. I wish there was that big a focus on the assistant level as well. They need the feedback and connection just as much as we do (if not more). I really thinkthis could help with the turn % in this area.

Live Your Life at AE... for every waking second.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

Pros

- The discount (40% off regular-priced, 25% off sale, and the occasional 50% or 70% promo) - Working for a company that is respected within the retail industry. - Having large amounts of resources at your disposal (i.e. large monthly budget with supplies and maintenance issues were dealt with swiftly with little regard to cost).

Cons

- The Workload. I worked at four different American Eagle stores over the course of three years, and I have seen the expectation quadruple within that time. All members of management are expected to own every single part of the business. Everything from knowing the growth rate of the surrounding community to being able to speak to every hour of performance during the management shift. AE expects all managers to maintain the same level of knowledge in merchandising, talent, business, replenishment, and operations. There are no specific areas of expertise. - The Respect. I left on good terms, but during my time I saw every store manager in my district terminated for not hitting certain KPIs. There were managers who worked at American Eagle for over seven years, and they were all asked to exit out of the back door. Within the past year, all associates and managers were asked to commit to a multitude of goals. So, during each shift, every person has at least three separate goals to reach. The response to not hitting commitments is a documented counseling plan or termination. By the time I left American Eagle, I was the senior most manager in my district. Everyone else had less than one year with the company. - The Advancement. I started as a seasonal sales associate and was soon promoted to an assistant manager. Shortly after that, I was promoted to store manager. I am the only person I know in my area that was promoted. I have not seen any promotions in that time. The advancement path is non-existent. In fact, the store manager who promoted me was well-respected and I assumed she was next in line to take on a district. She was terminated six months ago for not hitting sales plan.

Advice to Management

American Eagle was a place that I was proud to work at every day. However, I felt within the past year the vision and commitment to standards has fallen dramatically. I feel the essence of American Eagle is no longer there. The current crop of management has no idea what it's like to work with pride at AE. I have honestly thought that AE's downfall would be getting rid of the people that know what AE is all about. I have heard similar stories all across the country, so it will be interesting to see what will happen after the holidays. I also think AE is wasting money on keeping extremely low volume stores open. I also think the Martin + Osa brand is a waste of valuable resources. Also, the new BTS collection tried to re-ignite the old AE style. However, it's way too late. Instead of moving forward with a new aesthetic, AE went backwards.