There are newer employer reviews for American Eagle Outfitters

I had a great experience until one event changed everything!

Former Employee - Sales Associate
Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a great company for which to work; however, this one event changed my glowing thought into mere adequacy. The first year was fantastic; the management was amazing, the discount was great, my coworkers were fantastic. It was after that one event (read below) that slowly morphed my opinion from once a positive, uplifting, and daresay awesome and relaxed workplace, into mere apathy. Our store was a family. Many workers showed up on their day's off to shop and to socialize. We went out after work, without management, to restaurants and to bars. We had parties, and what I at first thought a regular retailer became an awesome place to work. We were there for each other and the talk amongst workers was not gossip yet of concern and worry. When a person was in a rut we brought cake and balloons in hopes that they would feel better. We celebrated birthdays and Christmases. We had a pre-Black Friday party once at work with cake and ice cream. We were there for each other. Our store rarely hired because the staff would not quit. I was twenty eight at the time, and due to the recession the average work age was in the mid to late twenties. Due to our closeness and positive nature it affected our awesome store environment. Our store grossed the highest in the district. Our DM was so friendly. She rarely came in based upon our numbers. When she did it was positive reimbursement on how our staff could go from great to superb. It made other stores in the district mad, and they were unhelpful when we called to check on items. Once the recession stopped great associates began to leave due to job openings. Managers began to hire younger people who changed the very aura of our store. What became a family and a utopia of sorts turned into an elongated episode of Gossip Girl. The remaining left, twenty I think, became miserable based upon the new hires and the change in attitude. Within months nine of the remaining twenty senior employees, including myself left. I went back six months after I left, and of the original twenty when I quit, two remained.

Cons

I left this company based upon the fact that there is absolutely no room for advancement. I wanted to work my way up through this company; namely through the corporate office rather than that of the store. The office in Pittsburgh is where I thought my future career lie. I applied for jobs, and that angered the management team at my store because I did not inform them of my submitting the resume for future employment. I was unsure on why that was important yet I digress. Eventually there was a job opening that matched my qualifications in Pittsburgh and based upon prior discussion with managers about my applying for positions without their permission, I talked with them about my interest in this position. They were excited for me and told me to apply. I put in my resume for the advertisement writer and editor in hopes to hear something back (the position's qualifications were a college degree and six months of in store work). They called to check the store reference and my managers stated that I was an adequate worker. I came in early on Black Friday when nobody else would, I stayed late when needed, and I ran credit training seminars whilst I worked there. I received compliments from them about how I was the best hiring decision they ever made, and they stated that I was simply adequate. I became a tad angry about this; however, I never let that inhabit the way that I worked for this company. I continued to come in on time, to stay late, and to continue to ascertain my change in becoming adequate to superb. There was then an opening position for a supervisor, and I wanted to apply. I was told from managers that I was 'not ready, but I am almost there.' It seemed that they put out the stops for another person's promotion, and they never did that with me.
It was after that event when I became antisocial with management and colleagues. I came in, did my job, and left. I did not go out with my colleagues as I once did. I took my breaks in the food court rather than in the back break area. My managers were worried I was depressed, and they called a meeting about my change in attitude towards my once outgoing nature to the more antisocial nature. They knew why I was upset. I cried in her office about how I felt that it was not fair. They understood, and they apologized. They said that the next job that opened up they would give me a high recommendation. I caved in and stayed three more months. Nothing happened, and I turned in my two week notice in mid August. The question is whether I would go back to this company? Yes I would, but not in the store level rather than in the corporate sector. I do want everyone to know that I have no animosity towards this company, and I do believe that it is a great company to work for. It was just towards the end of employment when I became upset.

Help people advance! Those who are serious about working their way up through the company should be helped on how to do so. I believe that it is my only complaint.

1001 Other Employee Reviews for American Eagle Outfitters (View Most Recent)

American Eagle Outfitters - Great Brand that I still enjoy, Upper management that were never friendly.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mission Viejo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mission Viejo, CA

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere, great customers. The managers were friendly and involved. Days off were granted normally without a problem, unless it was near holiday time.

Cons

Never received raises, upper division management thought they were better than everyone else. They were very belittling and talked down on you every time you had a question or made a mistake.

New upper management was needed!

Visual Production Coordinator

Current Employee - Visual Production Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Visual Production Coordinator in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay & benefits, fun work atmosphere, great discount on clothes.

Cons

Very repetitive job and honestly it was sort of brainless, as a company many employees work long, long hours so to achieve a work life balance I had to make it a point to work certain hours.

Encourage a better work/life balance and don't promote based on the hours people spend at the office, promote more based on the quality of the work people do while they are at work.

There are newer employer reviews for American Eagle Outfitters