There are newer employer reviews for American Eagle Outfitters

easy, flexible, part time work

Current Employee - Shift Lead/Sales Associate  in  San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Shift Lead/Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at American Eagle Outfitters part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Sometimes you meet really cool people (both customers and coworkers) that make work pass by more quickly.

It is a little bit performance based as in if you perform better as an associate you will get more hours.

A great discount on a lot of cute clothes.

Not too challenging.

Cons

Look forward to working a lot of holidays.

During some parts of the year there are a lot less hours available.

Not a high pay.

967 Other Employee Reviews for American Eagle Outfitters (View Most Recent)

One of the poorest run companies, and field management teams in the industry.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters full-time

Pros

-Competitive discount (40% off)
    -Great medical, dental, and overall insurance benefits.
    -A company that if you can blend in, will allow you to stay with them long-term.

Cons

-District Managers cause a lot of turnover.
    -High stress responsibilities with less than competitive compensation, given responsibilities.
    -Contact with DM's is minimal unless DM works out of your store, or comes for a visit. Will only touch base with you/Store Manager on limited basis.
    -The challenge, or "winning," never seems possible because the workload, expectations, and ground game is simply unrealistic.
    -Very behind the times when it comes to technology. Ex. Could afford to put iPads, and iPods in all stores, yet still doesn't have a single fully functioning desktop computer in any building. Also, store management is forced to hand-write, all stats and numbers for the store in an effort to "build" business acumen and know-how.
    -The company wants individuals who are willing to do their bosses job without being compensated, AND are genuinely unwilling to hire individuals who don't meet a very superficial, and at times unprofessional experience, or appearance standard (and I'm not talking about people who don't wear AE).
    -In hindsight, the attitude from top to bottom in upper management with American Eagle over 2013 could be directly correlated to how stocks/the company performed. As Q3, and Q4 progressed, and the company became less, and less profitable, DM's, RM's, and everyone else for that matter, became less, and less pleasant.
    -Associates/Keyholders/Assistants being told that they're "not qualified" to promote within the company, and giving them *NO* training, and following through on no training programs that the company claims exist is a moral killer.
    -Any exiting member of management will be blamed for any and all shortcomings of the store, or failings on any level within the store.
    -A political cycle.
    -Every aspect of managing an AE store is made one-thousand times more complicated than any other retailer makes it.
    -The company is not doing as well financially as they brag, or act on the surface. Do your own research on stock performances, and overall store performance before taking anyone who is hiring you at their word.

Wake up and get with the times. Definitely take a closer look at retail field leadership. Really look at what their doing, and promote from within more often. Invest in your training and development like you promise when you hire individuals, and since you go after talent with such large volumes of experience, make it worth the investment. Look at what employees, both current and former are saying about American Eagle, the culture, selling environment, and just what it's really like to work for company - and that doesn't mean send a DM in to ask baited questions that will continue the political cycle.

Left more to be desired.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at American Eagle Outfitters part-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoyed working with my co-workers. They were all very helpful and we all got along really well. In the end, they were the only reason why I was going to keep my job there.

Cons

I got scheduled once in three weeks. I don't have a car with me this semester, and I rely on friends and public transportation. Whenever I was scheduled, they put me on at times that it was absolutely impossible for me to get a ride there unless I walked. They also cancelled my shifts without telling me beforehand, so I found a way to work and then had to turn back around.

Try to schedule people fairly. I had years of retail experience and great references, but I was only scheduled after everyone else had received "prime" hours despite transportation restraints.

There are newer employer reviews for American Eagle Outfitters

Worked for American Eagle Outfitters? Contribute to the Community!