Amex

Current Employee - Marketing Director in New York, NY
Current Employee - Marketing Director in New York, NY

Pros

training, diversity, work life balance

Cons

compensation, bonus, pay, matrixed enviornment

Advice to Management

Dont benchmark pay again CPG companies

Other Employee Reviews for American Express

Great Benefits!!

Former Employee - Director in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Director in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

The benefits and wide variety of opportunities (both locational and positional) are the best reason to work at American Express. If you are a minority you also have a strong advantage. Approximately 60% of management is women. You are 4x as likely to be in management as a woman than as a man. They also provide childcare and other related benefits. 3 weeks of vacation are standard plus the option to purchase an additional week. They also offer excellent healthcare, legal assistance, babysitting assistance, tuition assistance, etc. It is a company that also gives back to the community and allows opportunities for service.

Cons

Similar to any other company it is often "who" you know and not "what" you know. There is a lot of movement within American Express and you will quickly find that the best way to get ahead is rarely with a promotion, but more often through internal movement. They are a fairly large company and in this way it is difficult to be recognized. They also tend to have tons of Directors and VP's in New York that are at Manager level outside New York. Often the only way to get a higher salary is to accept a position in NY at headquarters and then transfer to another city taking that higher salary level with you.

Advice to Management

Push for people to continue their education and training.

American Express focuses on the professional growth of it's employees

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in New York, NY

Pros

American Express has very strong values as a company, and it's employees are very dedicated to the vision. As a current employee, I value my management team's commitment to my professional growth and work / life balance. I have been with the company for five years and have been given several opportunities to diversify my skill sets, including specializing in marketing analysis, working overseas to gain international experience (via the 6 month Global Rotation program), doing customer marketing and product marketing. I enjoy working alongside my coworkers and believe that I work amongst the best and brightest in the industry.

Cons

The leadership at American Express is sometimes varied. The company allows you to change jobs every 18 months, and this is very much the culture here. People don't stay in their jobs long enough to make a meaningful impact. This also gives employees the false impression that they have the experience they need to move to Senior Management, just because they've been in 3-4 positions within just a few years. Also, the pay at American Express seems to be below industry standards and is a common complaint amongst coworkers. However I believe the people and the positive work environment may be worth the 10-20% lower pay, as compared to other financial service institutions.

Advice to Management

Continue to be aggressive and to instill hope in your employees, while at the same time defining reality (as Ken likes to say).