There are newer employer reviews for American Express

Downside for working for a company for a long period of time

Current Employee - Business Analyst I
Current Employee - Business Analyst I

I have been working at American Express

Pros

Benifits--I beleive the benifits are very good.

Cons

I have worked there for so long, the pay ranges increase faster than my raises. So I'm always at the low end of the pay scale.

Ensure tenured employees are taken care of finanically

1876 Other Employee Reviews for American Express (View Most Recent)

Strong Talent, bureaucracy abounds - if you can navigate this place is for you!

Current Employee - Director  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Director in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express

Pros

The diverse set of talent across the organization, helps to keep you exposed to new ideas and forces you to understand your own career inspirations/direction as many folks just know what they want to do when they 'grow up'. Pay is reasonable and if you are in marketing this is a premier brand to take with you anywhere.

Cons

In a word, bureaucracy. Amex is the premier expert in creating silos and tearing down ease of work in order to increase the complexity of doing business. Many times the ideas are sound and might even make sense, until you've been around a while and its clear that politics are usually the biggest drivers for centralizing or decentralizing (and back again) a specific organization. The fact that we are in a very challenging time almost allows this type of behavior to go on, the best power players will survive, those with less skill will be posting on LinkedIn...

Keep attracting and growing talent as the economic crisis will be guarantee to be less than infinity... If you've cut to far/deep you'll be regretting the choices made when it seemed as though you had to do something.

American Express - a great place in challenging times

Current Employee - Project Analyst I
    Current Employee - Project Analyst I

I have been working at American Express

Pros

American Express is extremely customer focused and invests a great deal in the front line. There is ample opportunity to advance if one takes ownership of ones development and education opportunities. I have been able to move to new department,s roles and responsibilities, on average, every 2 - 3 years. The current economic environment has impacted American Express similarly to others in the industry but our business model is providing a bit more resiliency. Our senior leadership seems to have an acurate view of the times and circumstances and communicates honestly and treats employees fairly. Even when it comes to letting us go.

Cons

We are in a stuggling industry and it may be quite a while before we recover completely.

Lead with honesty and integrity. Don't take or give ridiculous bonuses or salaries - everyone is watching

There are newer employer reviews for American Express

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!