American Express

www.americanexpress.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for American Express

Good company but the expectations of management are out of control.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Markham, ON (Canada)
Current Employee - Project Manager in Markham, ON (Canada)

I have been working at American Express full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great group of people, virtual office, flex hours

Cons

Responsibilities keep getting added and management expectation that you should do more keeps increasing. Salary increases are virtually non-existent.

Employees are getting burned out because their colleagues are getting displaced and this is leading to a lot of stress. Wake up and see that people are working all hours and this is not healthy.

2196 Other Employee Reviews for American Express (View Most Recent)

decent environment, good work life balance

Former Employee - Manager Analytics in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Manager Analytics in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at American Express full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good employee benefits. good brand

Cons

continuous reorganization, climbing up the ladder not that easy

Life at American Express

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I worked at American Express full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

All my work experience has been in just 2 companies. So my review is based on my limited exposure and what I have heard from other sources (including the various interviews I have faced).
    -Good starting salary which is above the general trend.
    -One of the few companies that have 8.5 hrs shift.
    -Good work culture. Better than most other companies.
    -Easy to have a good work life balance.
    -Number of training programs.
    -Good infrastructure. Feels good to be there. (This should not be ignored while considering a job change. I found this to my peril. Went to the second company and the surroundings there, left me disappointed from the very first day). There are few companies which have better or equivalent facilities and what Herzberg called the Hygiene factors. E&Y is one example. Went there for an interview. Good package plus very good infrastructure.
    -Management quite friendly.
    -Very quickly one gets used to the company. To me it was like second home. Used to feel very comfortable there. Even if the job's not to one's liking you feel like going there.
    - It is a testament to these facts that AMEX is usually in the top ten in India in terms of employee satisfaction.

Cons

-As mentioned one gets used to AMEX and then moving on becomes exceedingly tough especially if the next company is not in the same league.
    -Everyone working there or going there might not agree to my views as it's my experience and what I felt personally. Somebody with more experience in more companies may not agree or may not find AMEX so agreeable.
    -Again it is, at the end of the day, a place of work, a firm on a contractual relationship with thousands of employees. Whilst better in many ways it still has the other issues usually found at companies. To a lesser extent but yes they are there. The company is far from being a Semco like company which I feel, based on what I've read, is an ideal place.

There are newer employer reviews for American Express