American Express

Lead Analyst (Current Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsBenefits
Salary
work life balance
flexible work environment if needed, example, work at home

ConsToo much outsourcing. the outsource vendors have too much power,. all the work goes to them and employees have to fight for a project.
Very political
If you are on a "visible" project, you get a better rating. If you work ten times harder on a not so visible project, you get nothing. You usually will only get put on a good project if you are a favorite.
Difficult to move up
Postings are a joke, Nine times out of ten the hiring leader has someone in mind for that position. you can post for it, interview for it, and do exceedingly well during the interview, and then you get a call that you were not qualified. You will find out later that someone in the group has been promoted up for that position.
directors and VP's have their favorites.
Reviews are based on director and vp perspective. It does not matter how hard you work, you will be rated against everyone in the organization. When you are rated, it has nothing to do with how good you are. The employee who brown nosed the management gets noticed. The employee who takes credit for your work and gives a stupid presentation, gets noticed.
Seniority is ignored.
I actually pity the new people coming in. They will have the same negative attitude as I do. Just give them a few years and they will be posting a very similar review.
Fear of lack of job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop outsourcing so much.
Stop basing reviews on a bell curve (rated against peers), Reviews should be based on the work you do, not because you put your favorite on a good project , therefore, they get a better review because (A, they are your favorite, B, they were on a visible project, C, in comparison, they are better than you because of A and B)

Fulfilling and challenging

Global Merchant Services (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Many opportunities for advancement and development Cons: Better work schedules, as in more flexibility Advice to Senior Management: Keep up the good work Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

American Express

Finance Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

I worked at American Express full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Friendly work environment, competent leadership Cons: Highly matrixed organization, takes a long time to get things… Advice to Senior Management: improve employee autonomy Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on American Express.

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!