There are newer employer reviews for American Express

Stable, slow, good work life balance, salaries are below average

Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at American Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stable company, good work life balance, respect for employees and their needs, good senior management

Cons

Very difficult to change role, salaries below market

Advice to Management

Encourage international experience

Other Employee Reviews for American Express

I prefer being in jail over working here again.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and ok pay. I loved the cafeteria. The people who worked there were super friendly and nice. Amazing training. I knew what I was dong on the phones and it gave me confidence when I talked to customers. The equipment and office tools were amazing. I loved my office space they gave me.

Cons

If you don't like being micro managed about every little thing you do, don't work here. This job knew when you were going to the bathroom and if you didn't get back on the phones in time, a ton of managers would harass you about it. This company is all about politics, drove me crazy. I worked customer service which is amazing for the customer but the employees are all under appreciated and burnt out and management doesn't care. They also have a meeting were you sit and listen to your calls in a room with the area president and your manager and his manager of the company, can we say stressful job people! If they weren't so strict about the time you spent there and would actually get to know the employees and not treat them like robots, it would have been better. The schedules were a joke, basically the people who would kiss upper managements butts got promoted and got the schedules they wanted. It wasn't the most skilled employees like they say when they hire you. I hear other departments in the company are better but this department is horrible and all about who is friends with the boss.

Advice to Management

Get a life and stop sucking up to your boss above you. Fake and non genuine robots is what I think of the customer service managers at AMEX. Unless someone from upper management is around they don't care about you. Take care of the people below you and stop sucking up to your boss all the time in front of us. Management there is very selfish and all about advancing in their careers, they don't care like they say do and its a problem.

Been here almost two decades, that should tell you I think it is a very good company to work for!

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Respectful work culture - Very good work/ life balance - Good leadership by and large - Good benefits - Reasonable hours of working - Decent pay - Does a decent job of weeding out obnoxious bosses, most of the time - Generous severance pay

Cons

- Some obnoxious bosses can still flourish, by sucking up to senior leadership and "playing the game" - Pay is not as good as competitors - If you are in Finance, the pyramid is narrower to climb up than in other functions

Advice to Management

- Dispense with the sometimes excessive focus on "employee engagement" - it gets wearing for all concerned, those in management and those not, all of whom have to go along with the charade.