American Express

American Express Audit Director

Current Employee - Director - Audit in New York, NY
Current Employee - Director - Audit in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express

Pros

Amex respects and encourages a work life balance; there are numerous flexible work arrangements. The company also encourages internal movement to broaden skills sets and support employee development. Compensation is good when factoring in annual bonuses, which are contingent on business and employee performance. The company is large and diverse enough to provide a life long career of opportunities.

Cons

Like most companies, the culture is dependent on the specific department. At times it can be exteremely competitive and stressful. The annual performance review process needs to be revised. It is too subjective and political.

In the past, decisions were too short-term, resulting in drastic lay-offs and other cost cutting measures. The company should be more focused on long-term growth. The annual performance review process needs to be revised. It is too subjective and political.

2033 Other Employee Reviews for American Express (View Most Recent)

American Express a good place to work

Current Employee - CCP in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - CCP in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at American Express

Pros

I think that overall working at American Express has given me the knowledge of how Credit Card companies work, and the basic functions of banks. This knowledge is something that I'll be able to carry with me for the rest of my life.

Cons

At times it seems like opinions are not heard, Many times my functions deal with how the card member responds to marketing solicitations. When are mail piece has misinformation about the card product then the job can become more difficult.

require marketing to get feedback from ccps

Good place to start a career.

Current Employee - Finance Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express

Pros

There are many opportunities to gain a broad range of experiences in the Finance organization at American Express. In general, moving into different Finance roles is possible if you put in the time to network and build relationships. From the point of view of someone starting a career in Finance, this opportunity for movement is very attractive.

Cons

It's been painfully repeated on many other posts, but I'll say one more time that the salary is not comparable to other financial firms. You get a good work-life balance in most (not all) areas of the company, but the pay is simply not competitive. I know more than a few people who plan on jumping ship for the bigger paydays once they've gained some experience and--hopefully--a few promotions.

Focus on "actionable" analysis in Finance. Even after re-engineering, I still see people working on projects that do nothing more than benchmark a process yet again or provide useless information for no other reason that to make a particular department look good versus another.

There are newer employer reviews for American Express