There are newer employer reviews for American Express

Great company to work for

Former Employee - Project Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
Former Employee - Project Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at American Express full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

American Express is overall a great company. Regardless of age all emplyees are respected. The company offers flexibility,great training, and career development. I met and worked with many wonderful people during my time with Amex

Cons

Ever changing environment and always restructuring with workforce being reduced year after year.

Advice to Management

Enriching the shareholder is the goal of all companies...just remember your greatest asset are your people!

Other Employee Reviews for American Express

1. Relationship culture but very passive aggressive

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture and network of people

Cons

Feedback is passive aggressive and too-consensus driven

Advice to Management

Compliance

No true value of employees.

Former Employee - Travel Counselor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Travel Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at American Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Decent life/work balance -Willingness to work with parents -Lots of perks such as free food, free hotel stays/trips and nice quarterly bonuses

Cons

-Inability to work with people who need to take FMLA -Management breathes down your neck -Management can and will twist anything you say to use it against you. -Allow far too much time to pass between training and implementation -Just an overall inability to work with employees. I worked for Amex Travel for a little over a year. In that time, my team switched supervisors twice, changed our seating arrangements around 6 times, and just dealt with a lot of general chaos. During that year I developed severe carpal tunnel and was advised that I required surgery. After approaching my supervisor about getting the paperwork for FMLA, I was suddenly written up for "performance issues" and let go a week later. I was one of the top performers for productivity (every month within the top 5 EMPLOYEES out of 200+), yet I had "performance issues"? My supervisor also took a private conversation we had and twisted it around to give me a critical infraction that helped lead to my being let go. As for the time passing between training and implementation, they had my team take international training, yet not start taking any international calls until over 4 MONTHS later. After that amount of time, none of us could remember the training. The only refresher course was to sit with a more senior agent for a hour to listen in on a call. Essentially, they throw employees to the sharks, then blame them when they get a limb bitten off. I would never recommend working here to anyone, small perks aren't worth being treated like garbage.

Advice to Management

Learn to treat your employees like human beings! We falter, we make errors and we learn, give people a chance to do better. Also, don't let someone go for trying to take FMLA for a serious surgery.