Manager, Finance

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at American Express full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of very smart people

Cons

Pay not as high as other financial firms

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

No true value of employees.

Former Employee - Travel Counselor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Travel Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at American Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Decent life/work balance -Willingness to work with parents -Lots of perks such as free food, free hotel stays/trips and nice quarterly bonuses

Cons

-Inability to work with people who need to take FMLA -Management breathes down your neck -Management can and will twist anything you say to use it against you. -Allow far too much time to pass between training and implementation -Just an overall inability to work with employees. I worked for Amex Travel for a little over a year. In that time, my team switched supervisors twice, changed our seating arrangements around 6 times, and just dealt with a lot of general chaos. During that year I developed severe carpal tunnel and was advised that I required surgery. After approaching my supervisor about getting the paperwork for FMLA, I was suddenly written up for "performance issues" and let go a week later. I was one of the top performers for productivity (every month within the top 5 EMPLOYEES out of 200+), yet I had "performance issues"? My supervisor also took a private conversation we had and twisted it around to give me a critical infraction that helped lead to my being let go. As for the time passing between training and implementation, they had my team take international training, yet not start taking any international calls until over 4 MONTHS later. After that amount of time, none of us could remember the training. The only refresher course was to sit with a more senior agent for a hour to listen in on a call. Essentially, they throw employees to the sharks, then blame them when they get a limb bitten off. I would never recommend working here to anyone, small perks aren't worth being treated like garbage.

Advice to Management

Learn to treat your employees like human beings! We falter, we make errors and we learn, give people a chance to do better. Also, don't let someone go for trying to take FMLA for a serious surgery.

Change is guaranteed don't get comfortable.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at American Express full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, bonus incentives, and coworkers. Employee benefits are great, too! Performance based recognition.

Cons

Not smooth about change procedures which causes resistance and shock. Very lethargic and can be very stressful at times.

Advice to Management

No favoritism! It's very visible especially if you desire to move to other departments.