There are newer employer reviews for American Express

No true value of employees.

Former Employee - Travel Counselor in Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Travel Counselor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at American Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Decent life/work balance
-Willingness to work with parents
-Lots of perks such as free food, free hotel stays/trips and nice quarterly bonuses

Cons

-Inability to work with people who need to take FMLA
-Management breathes down your neck
-Management can and will twist anything you say to use it against you.
-Allow far too much time to pass between training and implementation
-Just an overall inability to work with employees.

I worked for Amex Travel for a little over a year. In that time, my team switched supervisors twice, changed our seating arrangements around 6 times, and just dealt with a lot of general chaos. During that year I developed severe carpal tunnel and was advised that I required surgery. After approaching my supervisor about getting the paperwork for FMLA, I was suddenly written up for "performance issues" and let go a week later. I was one of the top performers for productivity (every month within the top 5 EMPLOYEES out of 200+), yet I had "performance issues"? My supervisor also took a private conversation we had and twisted it around to give me a critical infraction that helped lead to my being let go.

As for the time passing between training and implementation, they had my team take international training, yet not start taking any international calls until over 4 MONTHS later. After that amount of time, none of us could remember the training. The only refresher course was to sit with a more senior agent for a hour to listen in on a call. Essentially, they throw employees to the sharks, then blame them when they get a limb bitten off. I would never recommend working here to anyone, small perks aren't worth being treated like garbage.

Advice to Management

Learn to treat your employees like human beings! We falter, we make errors and we learn, give people a chance to do better. Also, don't let someone go for trying to take FMLA for a serious surgery.

reviews filtered by

No work Life Balance

I worked at American Express full-time

Pros

There are no pros they are loosing market share.

Cons

They are fixing numbers to please the street. There is no work life balance . The pay is extremely low.

Good company, but there are some very fundamental flaws

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at American Express full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Overall, the vast majority of people are great to work with.
    - Great name to put on your resume - it really opens doors externally. Funny enough, it also gives you something to talk about socially as everyone has an opinion about credit cards :)
    - Lots of basic training available
    - Forces you to learn new skills to do your job.

Cons

- Performance review process punishes risk takers or those who push for multi-year transformational projects. Those with minimal risk or small projects that are implemented in less than a year receive favorable ratings.
    - Everyone is graded on a curve - which does not work well when you are on a top performing team being compared against middle performing groups. A person rated at 50% in a top 5% team will not receive recognition (or very very minimal) different than someone who is rated at 50% at a 50% performing team. It does not make sense to go above and beyond at American Express and expect corresponding recognition/compensation.
    - What once was a very collaborative and engaging company is rallying around silos, personal projects, and avoids risks. Too much finger pointing happens from long entrenched middle management who are able to manage through the basics.
    - Blue Work program, while highly regarded by the HR department, has forced many employees into situations that have negatively impacted ability to perform.
    - Innovation is talked about frequently, but strict adherence to quarterly results drives funding for new programs. Great ideas that align with long term market/industry trends get cut all the time if they don't deliver within a very short timeframe. All technical development of new assets is handled by 3rd party firms that staff with low cost resources - almost always with offshore teams that lack the qualifications needed. It is no surprise when the products are of mediocre quality at best.
    - Everyone is scared. With layoffs, inconsistent ratings, and constant budget cuts, it is hard to predict what comes next. The Execs are fighting over who will be the next CEO which has a downstream impact over their organizations.
    - Ken Chenault yet again had a 24% pay increase to $28 million dollars last year. Many employees made less this year than last (lower bonus), due to “tougher company performance” which included an artificial restructuring charge so they could lay off 5500 people. How can someone trust their company after seeing that behavior?

Advice to Management

Go back to your roots. Your over focus on beating quarterly goals by 1% has killing the culture, skipped major growth opportunities, and left major competitive gaps exposed. Also, the HR program needs a serious re-look.