American Express

www.americanexpress.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for American Express

Delivering extraordinary customer care and developing future leaders.

Current Employee - Team Leader in Fort Lauderdale, FL
Current Employee - Team Leader in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at American Express

Pros

American Express is one of the most admired companies in the world. Upon learning of my position at American Express, the reaction of friends and family has always been, "Wow! That's a great company! Congratulations!"
Beyond the prestige, American Express offers its employers countless of opportunities to be a part of the process to deliver extraordinary service to its customers as well as make a positive impact to its shareholders.
The leadership development for myself and for my peers goes beyond any expectation I had coming out of college. I have received intimate learning sessions on proven leadership tactics, such as MBTI, Crucial Conversations, and Situational Leadership, under the Adult Learning Theory.
As for career development, the company offers many opportunities to network with influential members of the leadership team, supports efforts to meet peers in offices around the country (such as Pheonix, Salt Lake City, and New York), and encourages employees to take on projects that require multi-department teamwork. The most impressive resource American Express offers for leadership development is a personal mentor to guide employees through all aspects of their career with the company; the mentor is always a senior leader at American Express.

Cons

In my time at American Express, I have found two negative aspects about the company.
The first is typical amongst most large companies: Poor communication from the top down. In specific, managers of front-line employees (employees dealing directly with customers) have little initial input on the directions upper management decides upon. Instead, these managers receive general goals to achieve, and must express these goals effectively to their employees and only when the direction headed poses challenges do managers have the opportunity to offer solutions.
The second issue I have stems from the first. Managers at this level, because of the large gap in the heirarchy with their bosses, are not influential enough to have spirited debates with their superiors, but are very vulnerable to disrespect from their direct reports. To offer a metaphor, being a front-line manager at American Express is like being between a rock and a hard place: You can't talk to your boss the way you might like to, but your employees are at liberty to express their emotions, how they see fit, to you.

I would advise Senior Management to allow middle-management (or front-line managers) to be more influential in the decision making process as it pertains to the direction a department is moving and also goal setting.
I would also advise Senior Management to be more visible amongst their direct reports and also the direct reports below them. By being more visible, a Senior Manager can not only gain respect, but it can also open lines of communication that could spur new ideas and possibly lead to improved performance.

2191 Other Employee Reviews for American Express (View Most Recent)

overall good experience working with the company

Current Employee - Lead Credit Analyst in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Employee - Lead Credit Analyst in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I have been working at American Express full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good salary intensive good leave policy

Cons

slow growth and team leaders don't pay much attention on employess

nothing much start paying much attention to the lower management

Great company and brand

I worked at American Express

Pros

Strong base salary and car allowances paid
    Commission structure is satisfactory
    Amex offer discounted health insurance and card products
    Great people to work with
    Leverage warm leads and work strategically on new business through the many Amex business units
    Strong brand behind you

Cons

Limited work life balance at times, perception is if your not in he office your not working
    Many challenges with their processes and paperwork, need to bring in new systems/technology to change and improve
    You need to become "blue box" to make it in the company. You need to know the right people to progress your career. They don't recognise or value their committed and hard working employees so limited progression if you don't play the political game and stroke egos
    If you don't perform you will be on a performance management plan straight away

Start taking more accountability for their staff and offer more support
    Look more at their talented employees who are committed to the company than the people who stroke egos and play the game
    There needs to be more of an open door policy for upper management

There are newer employer reviews for American Express