American Express

www.americanexpress.com
  www.americanexpress.com
There are newer employer reviews for American Express

Outsourcing to India, only poor leaders and suck ups left!

Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at American Express full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pay was good to start, then the raises were terrible, the jobs micromanaged, the lazy people get promoted for sucking up, and the hard workers have heart attacks and die young, right after they get outsourced! These ARE the good points!

Cons

You get treated like Chinese factory workers, your breaks are timed to the second, and if a phone call runs into your break you have to shorten the break to be back on time! There are no extra bathroom breaks! Everything is picked to death-you are always meant to feel inferior!

You choose very poorly the one's you promote. You don't ever pick the real hard workers, just the one's goofing off are in your line of sight. The ones who got degrees from U of Phoenix can't even write a simple memo with corr spelling and grammar!

2032 Other Employee Reviews for American Express (View Most Recent)

American Jobs outsourced to India

Former Employee - Accountant
    Former Employee - Accountant

I worked at American Express full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Direct management value their employees and direct leaders genuinely desires to see your advance in your career.

Cons

Direct manager and leaders have no control with upper management decisions. Past few years, the bottom line matters most - improve shareholders profits. The company "Blue Box Values" DO NOT support loyalty to their American Employees!

Leaders with the true control (Mr. Chenault), Shareholder are important; however, loyalty go both ways. Stop sending American Jobs overseas and keep American employees working. The results are top notch, high level of integrity and loyalty matched to none others. You continue to laid off good, hard long term employees that have been with the Amex family only to improve your bottom-line. The short-term results will only reveal itself in the long term with huge write-offs. But I guess, you need to show a loss in the books eventually.

Great company

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at American Express full-time (more than an year)

Pros

*Great health benefits and perks
    *Great corporate name to put on your resume
    *American Express has great products - nice to work for a company where I use their products on a daily basis
    *Genuinely nice people and co-workers

Cons

*Too many cooks in the kitchen at times - people have a tendency to take credit for everything and look out for themselves.
    *No clear career ladder path

*This suggestion may be is a hard thing to measure, but it'd be great if you could let us know whether our work paid off - were we able to get more people using Amex products, etc. Knowing such things may motivate us to work harder b/c we would then feel like we were making progress.

There are newer employer reviews for American Express