1935 Employee Reviews (View Most Recent)

Outsourcing to India, only poor leaders and suck ups left!

Former Employee - Credit Analyst  in  Salt Lake City, UT
Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at American Express full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The pay was good to start, then the raises were terrible, the jobs micromanaged, the lazy people get promoted for sucking up, and the hard workers have heart attacks and die young, right after they get outsourced! These ARE the good points!

Cons

You get treated like Chinese factory workers, your breaks are timed to the second, and if a phone call runs into your break you have to shorten the break to be back on time! There are no extra bathroom breaks! Everything is picked to death-you are always meant to feel inferior!

You choose very poorly the one's you promote. You don't ever pick the real hard workers, just the one's goofing off are in your line of sight. The ones who got degrees from U of Phoenix can't even write a simple memo with corr spelling and grammar!

Other Reviews for American Express

Great company

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst  in  Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at American Express full-time for more than a year

Pros

*Great health benefits and perks
    *Great corporate name to put on your resume
    *American Express has great products - nice to work for a company where I use their products on a daily basis
    *Genuinely nice people and co-workers

Cons

*Too many cooks in the kitchen at times - people have a tendency to take credit for everything and look out for themselves.
    *No clear career ladder path

*This suggestion may be is a hard thing to measure, but it'd be great if you could let us know whether our work paid off - were we able to get more people using Amex products, etc. Knowing such things may motivate us to work harder b/c we would then feel like we were making progress.

Ok company, It is similar to any other

I have been working at American Express

Pros

Flexibility of balancing work and personal life, good for those that have families and prefer to be home more than normal

Cons

Outsourcing IT department, trying to apply for a different position in the company is complex, one never qualifies, until maybe after their tenth try. then might be out of pity. They ask one thing and expect another. Monotonous

Be more into your employees, see who has potential to be where, make it easier to be considered for a new position. Hiring the wrong people to get the job done when the good ones are under your noses.

There are newer employer reviews for American Express.

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!