American Express

www.americanexpress.com
  www.americanexpress.com
There are newer employer reviews for American Express

Outsourcing to India, only poor leaders and suck ups left!

Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT
Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at American Express full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pay was good to start, then the raises were terrible, the jobs micromanaged, the lazy people get promoted for sucking up, and the hard workers have heart attacks and die young, right after they get outsourced! These ARE the good points!

Cons

You get treated like Chinese factory workers, your breaks are timed to the second, and if a phone call runs into your break you have to shorten the break to be back on time! There are no extra bathroom breaks! Everything is picked to death-you are always meant to feel inferior!

You choose very poorly the one's you promote. You don't ever pick the real hard workers, just the one's goofing off are in your line of sight. The ones who got degrees from U of Phoenix can't even write a simple memo with corr spelling and grammar!

1991 Other Employee Reviews for American Express (View Most Recent)

Great Entry Level Corporate Experience

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment. Great place to learn the pitfalls of Corporate America.

Cons

Limited advancement potential unless you give up any independent thinking. Self-serving Leadership environment...most Leadership ideas are poached from subordinate sources and presented as their own or not supported until there is a clear risk/reward outcome.

Dangerously close to a huge age-discrimination class action lawsuit.

Stop the bleeding...you are losing your best people and the ones left behind are self-serving drones. Contrary to your stated goals...innovation, self-initiative and risk taking are not encouraged unless there is something in it for Leadership.

Great company

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at American Express full-time (more than an year)

Pros

*Great health benefits and perks
    *Great corporate name to put on your resume
    *American Express has great products - nice to work for a company where I use their products on a daily basis
    *Genuinely nice people and co-workers

Cons

*Too many cooks in the kitchen at times - people have a tendency to take credit for everything and look out for themselves.
    *No clear career ladder path

*This suggestion may be is a hard thing to measure, but it'd be great if you could let us know whether our work paid off - were we able to get more people using Amex products, etc. Knowing such things may motivate us to work harder b/c we would then feel like we were making progress.

There are newer employer reviews for American Express