www.americanexpress.com
There are newer employer reviews for American Express

Awful management. No work-life balance.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice downtown location in NYC with great views of the city.

Cons

I've been with the company for a year now and accepting the job was the biggest mistake I ever made which I will be correcting in a few weeks.
For the past 12 months I had no work-life balance because of the ever conflicting directions that you get from senior leadership and the very poor management in my direct chain.

They have an awful and obsolete rating system so even if you do an excellent job you may not get the rating you deserve just because you have to be rated against your team. When the team manages different functional areas this rating system is simply absurd.

As someone else mentioned before, people get promoted to management roles just because of their tenure with the company. Again, if someone is a good individual contributor that does not make them good people managers!

Also, in terms of technology the company is years behind and the employees are decades behind.

Change the rating system. Assess all people managers and make changes. Improve technology and train employees to use it.

2107 Other Employee Reviews for American Express (View Most Recent)

Current Employee - Finance Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great company culture and work/life balance.

Cons

Roles are always changing before you could grasp what you're hired to do.

Not very challenging

Current Employee - Finance Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amex has great work-life balance, which is fantastic for spending time with family, and exploring cities and travelling. There are fantastic people, and since the environment is very collaborative, you get to work with very diverse and talented group of people.

Cons

Amex has not been innovative in recent years, and not break the glass barrier to try new products like NFP or Mobile banking. They have always followed the competition in new technologies. Even employees use old technologies (phones and laptop) and medicre services to get their work done.

Please understand that just because you spend a lot of money on PR, doesn't make your product the best in the market. Others have done it already and done it for cheaper. Burst the bubble that Amex is the best, and actually try to be the best.

There are newer employer reviews for American Express