There are newer employer reviews for American Express

American Express is a great company but I realized the job was not for me.

Former Employee - Financial Planner  in  Roanoke, VA
Former Employee - Financial Planner in Roanoke, VA

I worked at American Express full-time for less than a year

Pros

I learned a great deal about financial planning.

Cons

The financial stress the first year made it difficult to do the job.

Provide more financial resources early on so new planners can make it.

1892 Other Employee Reviews for American Express (View Most Recent)

Nothing American about Outsource Express

Former Employee - Director  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Director in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at American Express full-time for more than a year

Pros

Met some great people with shared aspirations and values.

Cons

Met some great people with shared aspirations and values but working under inexperienced and duplicitous upper management VP hacks (NYC) who fostered a work environment that resulted in employees working to KEEP their jobs rather than DOING their jobs, making the work environment an unstable and miserable experience.

AMEX permanently closed most if not all of its TSO (Travel Service Office) physical locations late in 2013. You, AMEX, could not figure out how to compete with the online reservation powerhouses. So, what's the appeal of a company formerly known for providing generally competent travel services, but that is now really only a bank, after taking TARP money? Many of us don't know the answer to this either, but since AMEX is now really only about "payments" and taking payments is only what this company seems to know how to do, keep in mind that consumers have many more affordable and incentivized options for payments, other than the AMEX card these days. This company has a rolling strategy to do more but with far fewer USA-based employees so beware. It is not the American company many of us remember-just ask those with 10, 20 or more years of service who were sent home by AMEX in favor of India, starting in 2013. Use the AMEX card, not your people, AMEX.

Yin & Yang

Former Employee - Credit Analyst  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at American Express full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Friendly work environment among all the lower level workers and management. AMEX has many incentives for you to work harder to earn more money. Benefits were very good and started day one.

Cons

A lot of favoritism in upper management made advancement difficult as well as they strange "star story" interview process. Downsizing to send more work out of country even though customers hate speaking to those they can't understand and those of us in America are stressed about losing our jobs.

Those that make advertising and customer seeking decisions need to make sure customers understand exactly how their cards works so they aren't embarrassed at the point of sale. Top heavy with top level management leaving little room for those and the lower levels much room to move up vertically. If an employee has health issues do not make jabs at them publicly because you don't understand what is happening with them. Following scripts asking them to borrow money from others is a great way to belittle customers.

There are newer employer reviews for American Express

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!