1936 Employee Reviews (View Most Recent)

Call Center Mill - New Accounts Associate

Former Employee - New Accounts  in  West Valley City, UT
Former Employee - New Accounts in West Valley City, UT

I worked at American Express full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits are good: medical, vacation pay, and sick pay. The building is nice.

Cons

Working in a cubicle, taking call after call all day long burned me out. Customers called in and were upset and yelled about their bills or deals they didn't get on a new card. AmEx expects you to have low avg call time and after call wait. You have to login within a couple of minutes of your shift and they watch your stats really closely. It was a call center mill to put it simply. I had good stats, but it still burned me out.

Rotate employees more, so they can do other jobs. People get burned out doing the same thing day in and day out. Give more opportunity to cross-train and move around.

Other Reviews for American Express

Analyst

I have been working at American Express

Pros

Great Brand to work for.

Cons

People-- Few are great-- the most esp. in Consumer are only interested on how you can help them. You will be sitting in a meeting with people working on a project but pass them in the hallway and they say nothing.

Wants to be innovating but they don't take chances

Just Listen. Then Act

Horrible experience at the Plantation, FL location

Former Employee - Collections  in  Plantation, FL
    Former Employee - Collections in Plantation, FL

I worked at American Express full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits from day 1 of employment! Nice cafeteria with good food. If you live an alternative lifestyle, (I don't) they are extremely accommodating. No discrimination or judgement passed.

Cons

All new employees must work night shifts. No day shifts available. Lots of favortism and micro management. If you hate your calls to be recorded, played back to you, and harshly scrutinized, don't work here.

Offer new employees day shift hours. Train supervisors better so that they can treat their new hires better.

There are newer employer reviews for American Express.

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!