1935 Employee Reviews (View Most Recent)

Solid company to work for

Current Employee - Manager  in  London, England (UK)
Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at American Express

Pros

People here are hard working, knowledeable and friendly, the matrix organisation works well when every one is engaged in a project. The company is very good on listening to staff needs and pays a lot of attention to employee engagement. I've worked for one terrible VP (on maternity leave now thankfully!!!) however general management standards are very good. Work life balance is promoted and management are keen to ensure that people are informed of any news as soon as possible, good location in london for commuters near Victoria station. Overall one of the best companies I've worked for, and I've worked for a few!!!

Cons

Pay isn't the best to be fair.

Keep doing what you're doing in terms of employee engagement, however you do need to review comps and bens!

Other Reviews for American Express

Workplace that cares about employee development (personal+professional)

Current Employee - Marketing Manager (Band 35)  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager (Band 35) in London, England (UK)

I have been working at American Express

Pros

Flexibility to balance work and life, absolutely feel no guilt in taking time off for work for example. Friend who is pregnant (and going on maternity) was recently promoted to VP despite her condition -- she was the right person for the job. They will allow her to work from home for the first year. Focus on professional and personal development -- my leader spends significant time with me to review my 360-degree reviews, create development plan, and put real resources and time behind my development (even at specific cost to the company). Great decision to join American Express in London.

Cons

Employees have the ability to change jobs every 12-18 months, which is great. But the downside is that this creates a void of institutional knowledge. A lot of time is spent re-inventing the wheel and/or tracking down the people that originally worked on a project. American Express is also a very heavily matrixed organization, so it takes a lot of patience and influential abilities to get things done. You are often goaled against objectives over which you do not have direct control. This has certainly been an area of frustration, particularly if your goals are not aligned with those you are trying to work through.

Keep it up!

Full of opportunity...if you want it

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I worked at American Express full-time for more than a year

Pros

Culture, work/life balance, vacation, flexible schedule. Superstars can rise to the top quickly.

Cons

Red-tape and rigid management structure. Too many stakeholders for each initiative.

Embrace innovation.

There are newer employer reviews for American Express.

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!