There are newer employer reviews for American Express

Definitely one of the best run companies I've ever been with

Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Customer Care Professional in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at American Express full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, outstanding employees, and care to give employees a nice work-life balance.

Cons

It can be very stressful and demanding work on the phones. You're literally tied to the phone your entire shift with very little time to breathe. There were plenty of days I never had the opportunity to utter a single word to the person sitting next to me because the call load was so heavy.

When the recession hit, the company changed it's culture overnight from one that I highly respected to one that was mediocre. I think they tried to recover from that, but I still don't think they have all these years later.

1932 Other Employee Reviews for American Express (View Most Recent)

A strong brand that has succeeded through the worst of times.

Former Employee - Small Business Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Small Business Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at American Express full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Global opportunities, a wide array of market strengths, benefits, a livable wage and high standards.

Cons

It can be difficult to be considered for opportunities when the competition is sometimes predetermined.

You should hire me, no really, you should!

Great Brand, Great Company

Current Employee - Credit Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Credit Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Outstanding work life balance (EMPOWER allows you to control your vacation/time off, no need for approval as long as time is available), lots of room to grow. AMEX is very interested in making sure their employees find their right fit in the company. Very diverse. Talented group of people. I really enjoy working here.

Cons

LOTS of changes! Be ready to move around. Although the work life balance is amazing, it comes with a price. You must be very flexible, meet/exceed goal to get the schedule you desire. If you have a family, the schedule can be a challenge. I don't have a family and I do find the constant schedule changes difficult to adjust to.

The business need must be met, we understand that. Please give more notice to employees regarding schedule changes so we can adjust accordingly.

There are newer employer reviews for American Express