Extremely Top Heavy - and senior leaders do nothing

Current Employee - Manager - Risk Management in New York, NY
Current Employee - Manager - Risk Management in New York, NY

Pros

Other business units and groups seem to be great places to work

Cons

In this particular group, teamwork and work ethic at the manager level is fantastic (manager at American Express is entry level with a post graduate degree). I've met some incredibly intelligent, hard working, and positive people who are managers. However, move up one level to the Director leadership and quality of integrity deteriorates. Go up another level to VP and integrity seems to be the exception rather than the norm. Senior leaders have zero people management skills - despite the fact that most managers are working 80 hours/week, the Directors and VPs constantly berate the team for not working hard enough (while they leave at 5PM on the dot). Additionally, we spend the majority of our time fixing system and data issues which have existed for years (and is not actually part of our jobs) - meaning the people that are currently VPs are the ones that made the mistakes and are not taking any accountability for it. All they do is blame us, even though we didn't create the problems and we're working twice the amount of hours they are to fix it. I could go on and on but the bottom line is that as the economy improves, the managers doing the work will leave for better opportunities and all you'll have left is a bunch of "leaders" who have no understanding of the day to day activities that allow this company to function. Additionally, a lot of great ideas were brought up at the Senior Management summit a couple weeks ago - in particular Ken Chenault's urge for employees to have a digital mindset; this is the kind of thinking Amex needs to stay ahead. However, nothing is happening regarding this in my group - when I asked my VP why I was told that "it wasn't a priority." How can it not be when the CEO said it was?!

Advice to Management

Senior leadership in other groups seems to be much better. Why is there such a disparity in people management skills around the company? There should be a bare minimum satisfaction rating for a VP to continue to manage a team. For example, my VP got less than a 20% satisfaction rate from our last employee satisfaction survey - and yet she is allowed to continue "manage" us. WHY?

Other Employee Reviews for American Express

1. Great Brand, Difficult Mobility

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Great location, top brand equity

Cons

People managers are not trained appropriately, difficult to move between divisions, very low compensation.

Advice to Management

If the company is going to promote leadership then they should train their people managers to be good leaders.

2. Leadership needs to be revamped (AGAIN !!!!)

Current Employee - Team Leader in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Tampa, FL

Pros

Benefits are great Brand recognition Solid foundation

Cons

Promotions are handled poorly Certainly "who" you know and not "what" you know Seniority doesn't mean squat when you're in leadership There's no incentive or benefit to enter into leadership Everything that is done is geared for the "front line associates". TL's are overworked and VERY under appreciated. Not to mention your TC will make as much as you, if not more..especially with the new restructured bonuses program, which is an absolute joke. It's an insult to a leader Work life balance is a complete joke!!! Be careful who you trust - leadership integrity is the worst. They will trade their own mother to get what they want and will blame it on you when the deal is found out.

Advice to Management

If senior management really want to know what's going on in its business....then think outside the norm to find out. When there's no trust, people are afraid to talk because of the lack of integrity in various resources. Especially when so many people are already out of work. Tampa has really bad morale. Hopefully, soon senior leadership will figure it out and step in before all the good people leave or the business is ruined. When you visit everything looks great because it's a facade, I can assure you. Many tenured and highly talented people are posting and/or have left and/or trying to leave. Management sucks here (in both offices) ! I wish i could tell it all,but until I get out..... I can't risk it. I wish I could trust the internal resources, I am a shareholder too and I want my company to succeed...but I've been burned before and IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN !!! I am trying to get out of where I am, by any means necessary. Because every day I lose more of my soul. I HATE IT here (this office). Not the company.