American Express

Extremely Top Heavy - and senior leaders do nothing

Current Employee - Manager - Risk Management in New York, NY
Current Employee - Manager - Risk Management in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express

Pros

Other business units and groups seem to be great places to work

Cons

In this particular group, teamwork and work ethic at the manager level is fantastic (manager at American Express is entry level with a post graduate degree). I've met some incredibly intelligent, hard working, and positive people who are managers. However, move up one level to the Director leadership and quality of integrity deteriorates. Go up another level to VP and integrity seems to be the exception rather than the norm. Senior leaders have zero people management skills - despite the fact that most managers are working 80 hours/week, the Directors and VPs constantly berate the team for not working hard enough (while they leave at 5PM on the dot). Additionally, we spend the majority of our time fixing system and data issues which have existed for years (and is not actually part of our jobs) - meaning the people that are currently VPs are the ones that made the mistakes and are not taking any accountability for it. All they do is blame us, even though we didn't create the problems and we're working twice the amount of hours they are to fix it. I could go on and on but the bottom line is that as the economy improves, the managers doing the work will leave for better opportunities and all you'll have left is a bunch of "leaders" who have no understanding of the day to day activities that allow this company to function.
Additionally, a lot of great ideas were brought up at the Senior Management summit a couple weeks ago - in particular Ken Chenault's urge for employees to have a digital mindset; this is the kind of thinking Amex needs to stay ahead. However, nothing is happening regarding this in my group - when I asked my VP why I was told that "it wasn't a priority." How can it not be when the CEO said it was?!

Senior leadership in other groups seems to be much better. Why is there such a disparity in people management skills around the company? There should be a bare minimum satisfaction rating for a VP to continue to manage a team. For example, my VP got less than a 20% satisfaction rate from our last employee satisfaction survey - and yet she is allowed to continue "manage" us. WHY?

2026 Other Employee Reviews for American Express (View Most Recent)

One of the great companies in the world to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express

Pros

Focus on the shareholder, customer and employee are all emphasized. Very smart and capable workforce, from top to bottom, and everyone is focused on respect for coworkers. Employee development has suffered from less funding, but not from lowered focus or attention. Strong focus on the customer has provided a superior business model that has proven itself in these difficult economic times -- provides the security of having a positive future!

Cons

Not immune to the pressure on financial services companies.

Keep the focus on developing your talent!

Amex is a good place to work for

Current Employee - IT Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at American Express

Pros

Blue box values. They promote work/life balance, they try to life the values. Flexible schedule. Excellent opportunity to learn and receive training.

Cons

Performance management is not standard, that depends on how your leader represents you during the evaluation; however at the end your leader do not have influence in your review. There is a lot duplication on work depending on the department you work for.

They should know more their people at all levels; who are the people that work for them, what are the strenghts and opportunities.

There are newer employer reviews for American Express