American Express

www.americanexpress.com

American Express Low In Pay High In Benefits

Acquisition Executive (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsBeing part of a large corporation provides the employee with a lot of opportunity, but also a lot of competition. Depending on the department, you can get reimbursed for tuition. American Express is very involved in the community and really preaches work life balance. American Express really stands out on a resume. Also the business leaders are very very approachable and I have personally met all of the Senior Leadership or my organization and Ken Chenault.

ConsThe economy has really hits the perks of the job hard. The health care used to be really good and made up for the low salary, but American Express has recently moved to a Health Savings Account and cut the health care benefits drastically to cut costs. They've tried to offset this by giving the employee $500 to use towards health care costs, but it's nothing compared to what it was. The Corporate Card division has a very low salary compared to the competition and the organizational behaviors are more centered on promotion based on who you know and not what you know or what you acheived. Promotions are very political and very nepotistic.

Advice to Senior ManagementAmerican Express has created a brand centered on customer loyalty and customer service, but American Express has lost sight of the brand in the last decade or so. It is paramount for the senior leadership to see that the customer comes first and not the stock holder.

Amex

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at American Express

Pros: Excellent. values. Good . people, Work culture Cons: Inflexible. Slow. to. move. old fashioned. Advice to Senior Management: Be flexible. Adapt innovative customer centric features. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

You will drink the cool aid

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

I have been working at American Express

Pros: A trust-worthy, well-respected company with a great brand image. It does… Cons: While work life balance is talked about, in some parts of… Advice to Senior Management: Interact more with employees at lower band levels. Most VPs/SVPs in my time… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on American Express.

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!