American Express

www.americanexpress.com
  www.americanexpress.com
There are newer employer reviews for American Express

Working hard to do the right things

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in New York, NY
Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express

Pros

Amex is a great company. They aim to be the World's most respected service Brand. At Amex, it is all about service and most employees are that way, especially customer care professionals on the phones. I like working at Amex because I can connect with the idea of serving individual people and small businesses. I love the new and innovative ways we as a company are trying to do that.

Some other things I like:
BlueWork - The ability as a manager to work virtually when needed. This has been very valuable as we had a new baby in our family recently and I have been able to home to help out and work later in the evening after the kids have gone to bed.
Challenge - Amex expects you to be thinking in new ways and improve on what is currently being done. They recognize and reward discretionary effort.

Cons

NYC is very centralized for a global company. NYC is the Headquarters and that is still quite evident. Amex is working on becoming more global, but as it currently stands, most divisions are 50% US and 50% international. If you want to move up in HR, the feeling is, you have to be in NYC.

Also, others have cited poor productivity tools as a con for Amex and last year I totally agreed. I honestly wouldn't have stayed with Amex after interning with them knowing I would have to use Lotus Notes, had I not heard the plan to move to Outlook. Amex is finally rolling out new tools including Exchange/Outlook (this month) and Sharepoint in a couple of months from now.

Consider saving the company significant real estate costs by moving the headquarters out of NYC. This would reduce operating costs from real estate, and improve the cost of living and commute times for employees.

2018 Other Employee Reviews for American Express (View Most Recent)

Great Opportunities and a Fantastic place to learn from industry leaders

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express

Pros

American Express is a brand that people know and trust. American Express draws top talent to the organization and has plenty of opportunities to delevlop your skills and network.

Cons

Amercian Express can be a very political company. Without knowing the right personl or being plugged into the right connections it can be tough to climb the corporate ladder.
    Some people say that American Express doesn't pay as well as other Financial Services Company.

A year end salary bump that is at least equal to the price of inflation (cost of living) would be nice. Last year the cost of living increased by about 4.4% and my salary only increased by 1.86% despite my solid year-end review.

great place to work

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express

Pros

great work life balance! highly recommend Amex as a place to work. very european work structure

Cons

pitiful compensation. you won't get paid here; but if you want a work life balance this is the place for you. Highly attractive for women who have husbands that are in more lucrative companies.

great job!