There are newer employer reviews for American Express

Working hard to do the right things

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express

Pros

Amex is a great company. They aim to be the World's most respected service Brand. At Amex, it is all about service and most employees are that way, especially customer care professionals on the phones. I like working at Amex because I can connect with the idea of serving individual people and small businesses. I love the new and innovative ways we as a company are trying to do that.

Some other things I like:
BlueWork - The ability as a manager to work virtually when needed. This has been very valuable as we had a new baby in our family recently and I have been able to home to help out and work later in the evening after the kids have gone to bed.
Challenge - Amex expects you to be thinking in new ways and improve on what is currently being done. They recognize and reward discretionary effort.

Cons

NYC is very centralized for a global company. NYC is the Headquarters and that is still quite evident. Amex is working on becoming more global, but as it currently stands, most divisions are 50% US and 50% international. If you want to move up in HR, the feeling is, you have to be in NYC.

Also, others have cited poor productivity tools as a con for Amex and last year I totally agreed. I honestly wouldn't have stayed with Amex after interning with them knowing I would have to use Lotus Notes, had I not heard the plan to move to Outlook. Amex is finally rolling out new tools including Exchange/Outlook (this month) and Sharepoint in a couple of months from now.

Consider saving the company significant real estate costs by moving the headquarters out of NYC. This would reduce operating costs from real estate, and improve the cost of living and commute times for employees.

1863 Other Employee Reviews for American Express (View Most Recent)

great place to work

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at American Express

Pros

great work life balance! highly recommend Amex as a place to work. very european work structure

Cons

pitiful compensation. you won't get paid here; but if you want a work life balance this is the place for you. Highly attractive for women who have husbands that are in more lucrative companies.

great job!

Wonderful

Current Employee - Director  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Director in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express

Pros

Challenging work, great opportunities, excellent coworkers

Cons

This is a wonderful company, I have been here for 8 years and still love it.

None

There are newer employer reviews for American Express

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!