American Express

www.americanexpress.com

Working hard to do the right things

Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsAmex is a great company. They aim to be the World's most respected service Brand. At Amex, it is all about service and most employees are that way, especially customer care professionals on the phones. I like working at Amex because I can connect with the idea of serving individual people and small businesses. I love the new and innovative ways we as a company are trying to do that.

Some other things I like:
BlueWork - The ability as a manager to work virtually when needed. This has been very valuable as we had a new baby in our family recently and I have been able to home to help out and work later in the evening after the kids have gone to bed.
Challenge - Amex expects you to be thinking in new ways and improve on what is currently being done. They recognize and reward discretionary effort.

ConsNYC is very centralized for a global company. NYC is the Headquarters and that is still quite evident. Amex is working on becoming more global, but as it currently stands, most divisions are 50% US and 50% international. If you want to move up in HR, the feeling is, you have to be in NYC.

Also, others have cited poor productivity tools as a con for Amex and last year I totally agreed. I honestly wouldn't have stayed with Amex after interning with them knowing I would have to use Lotus Notes, had I not heard the plan to move to Outlook. Amex is finally rolling out new tools including Exchange/Outlook (this month) and Sharepoint in a couple of months from now.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider saving the company significant real estate costs by moving the headquarters out of NYC. This would reduce operating costs from real estate, and improve the cost of living and commute times for employees.

great place to work

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

I have been working at American Express

Pros: great work life balance! highly recommend Amex as a place… Cons: pitiful compensation. you won't get paid here; but if you want a work life balance this is… Advice to Senior Management: great job! Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Wonderful

Director (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at American Express

Pros: Challenging work, great opportunities, excellent coworkers Cons: This is a wonderful company, I have been here for… Advice to Senior Management: None Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on American Express.

Worked for American Express? Contribute to the Community!