There are newer employer reviews for American Girl

A company that truly cares about their employees and their customers.

Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Girl part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a happy & extremely rewarding environment. The feeling you get when you see little girls waiting for you to open the doors is such an excitement that most people will never get to experience at work. There are great perks, such as the employee discount and huge Christmas "box" from Mattel, filled with at least 10 different free toys from various Mattel brands. Probably most important is the incomparable employee recognition. We are treated so well, from paid training programs, to free breakfast, to paid "play days" (you get paid to literally play with toys for an hour), it's an amazing company to work for.

Cons

Since it's a smaller company, its a slower process for promotion as there just aren't as many positions available higher up.

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin' on! Don't stop what you're doing: don't ever forget about who this company was made for and who makes up this company.

reviews filtered by
  1. Fun place to work for the holiday season

Current Employee - Client Services Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Client Services Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at American Girl part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of happy customers shopping for really sweet products - a happy place all around. Hourly pay, in general, seems to be more than the norm for a retail place.

Cons

Not a good place if you don't like crowds or children ! Can be extremely busy at the holiday time and a tomb in the off-season. Hours are inconsistent and no control over your own schedule - but that is the usual case with retail places.

2. Great training, investment in employees

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at American Girl part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Offered many training opportunities which included a lengthy orientation process even for seasonal workers and opportunities to count hours for activities such as book clubs to learn about company products.
    * Great benefits for those interested in Mattel and American Girl products. Great discount (15-20%) and drawings for free products.

Cons

* Rigid working hours - had to commit to at least 1 weekday shift and two weekend shifts for seasonal workers. (I think that I remember that correctly...)
    * It was difficult to make last minute changes to the work schedule and to find people to cover for me. I partly feel this is because they staffed, oddly enough, a little too well. No one was particularly looking for additional shifts.